This Twix Cake is the ULTIMATE decadence with its three layers of rich, chocolate cake and buttery caramel frosting topped off with drizzles of caramel and chocolate syrup and crowned with bite-sized pieces of Twix candy bars.
This Twix Cake is THE cake of all cakes. I’m talking three layers of fluffy, decadent chocolate cake iced with creamy layers of buttery caramel frosting, then topped off with tasty drizzles of chocolate and caramel sauce and bite-sized pieces of Twix candy bars. It makes my mouth water just writing about it!
If you, like me love chocolate and caramel, then this Twix Cake is about to become your new best friend. Not only does it look impressive but it tastes absolutely AMAZING! It will wow your friends and family, yet it’s not difficult to make at all!
How To Make The Best Ever Twix Cake
Despite how intricately amazing this cake looks, it really isn’t complicated to make. It’s even easier when you use a boxed cake mix instead of a homemade recipe, which is what I did this time around. The frosting, however, I’ll always make from scratch. But it’s quick and easy, too.
Kitchen Tools Needed
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products I think you’ll like. If you make a purchase from one of these links, Bullock’s Buzz will make a small commission at no additional cost to you. All products that I recommend are ones that I have (or have had), use, and love.
- 10-inch round cake boards
- cake smoother
- cake leveler
- hand mixer or stand mixer
- 9-inch round cake pans (3 of them)
- Off-Set knife or Cake Decorating Knife for frosting
- large piping bag with a star tip
- parchment paper – optional
- a cake turntable – optional but makes frosting a lot easier!
Ingredients Needed to Make a Twix Layered Cake
In addition to chocolate cake and the ingredients for the frosting, you will also need some caramel syrup, chocolate syrup, and several Twix bars. You will find the entire ingredients and instructions in the printable recipe below.
Putting It All Together
Building this Twix Cake is a cinch! Make sure the cakes are completely cooled and the frosting is at room temperature before you start. I’ll walk you through how to put a layered cake together below.
First, using a cake slicer, bread knife, or any other serrated knife, slice lightly across the top of any high spots on each cake layer so they each have a flat top.
Place one of the cake layers onto the cake board. Scoop about 1 cup of caramel frosting onto the cake and smooth it over the top evenly using the off-set knife. It’s ok if some of the frosting hangs over the edges.
Now place the second cake layer on top of the frosted first layer. Using another cup of frosting, coat the top of the second cake layer evenly. Then place the final layer on top of it.
Next, frost the entire cake with some of the remaining frosting (making sure to leave enough for the final steps). Use the cake smoother to ensure the sides are frosted evenly.
Add caramel sauce around the top edge of the cake so
that the sauce drips down the sides of the cake. I find it easiest to use a squeeze bottle of sauce. Repeat with the chocolate sauce.
Next, using an icing bag and star tip, pipe dollops of frosting around the top edge of the cake. Then, place pieces of Twix candy bars into the frosting until you are happy with how it looks.
And that’s it! Doesn’t it look simply scrumptious?
Storing A Twix Chocolate Layer Cake
Although this cake is delicious, I doubt you’ll eat it all in one day. Luckily, you can keep the Twix cake in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
And if you have a few slices that you want to keep hidden for another day, you can freeze this cake for up to 1 month; just make sure it is well wrapped before freezing.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family did! If you decide to give it a go, I’d love to know how it turned out! Give me a shout out in the comments below and please rate using the stars below!
Twix Cake Recipe – Printable
Best-Ever Twix Cake
- 2 boxes Triple Chocolate Cake Mix
- 6 large eggs
- 2½ cups water
- 1 cup Canola Oil
- 2 cups unsalted butter softened
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 4-6 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp caramel sauce
- 1 bottle caramel sauce I use the kind you can squeeze out
- 1 bottle chocolate sauce
- Twix candy bars
- Prepare the cake in three 9-inch can pans according to instructions on the box.
- Using a hand or standing mixer, beat together butter, powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream, vanilla, and 2 tbsp caramel sauce.
- Beat until well combined and stiff peaks begin to form.
Putting It All Together
- Using a cake slicer, slice lightly across the top of the cake layers to make them flat.
- Place one of the cake layers onto the cake board or plate. Using about 1 cup of frosting, frost the top of the cake smoothly and evenly.
- Place the second layer on top of the frosting, flat side up. Then using another cup of frosting, ice it.
- Place the final layer on top of the frosted second layer.
- Frost the entire cake with the remaining frosting, making sure to smooth the frosting on the sides with the off-set spatula or a frosting scraper.
- Using the caramel sauce, pipe drips along the top edge of the cake so that the caramel drizzles down the sides. Do the same with the chocolate sauce.
- Next, fill a frosting bag with the rest of the frosting and using a star tip, pipe dollops of frosting around the top edge of the cake.
- Finally, place pieces of Twix candy bar into the frosting around the top of the cake until you are happy with the way it looks.
More Cake and Cupcakes Recipes
Looking for more cake or cupcake recipes made with your favorite chocolate and caramel flavor combinations? Check these out!