Scarecrow Carrot Cake Cupcakes are soft, fluffy, and incredibly moist. Made with real carrots, these lightly spiced cupcakes are covered in a velvety smooth cream cheese frosting and then decorated to look like scarecrows in this deliciously fun Fall recipe.
If you’re a baking enthusiast or just looking to indulge in a delightful autumn-inspired dessert, you’re in for a treat. Today, I’m sharing one of my favorite Autumn recipes, my Fall Scarecrow Carrot Cake Cupcakes – a food craft with a mouthful of flavor that perfectly captures the essence of the season.
These Fall Scarecrow Carrot Cake Cupcakes are not only scrumptious but also irresistibly charming! and Decorated to resemble scarecrows, and wrapped in adorable Fall-themed cupcake wrappers, these treats boast a whimsical twist that’s perfect for the season.
I also included a free cupcake wrapper pattern so you can make your own Fall-themed cupcake wrappers! All you’ll need is the paper of your choice.
How to Make Fall Scarecrow Carrot Cake Cupcakes Recipe
Are you ready to learn how to whip up these delightful Fall Scarecrow Carrot Cake Cupcakes? You will find the detailed recipe including exact quantities and instructions in the free printable recipe card near the end of this post. But first I’ll share a step-by-step guide along with photos to show you exactly how to create these charming cupcakes.
Let’s go transform everyday ingredients into an autumn masterpiece, one Scarecrow Cupcake at a time!
Kitchen Tools You May Need
To embark on this delightful culinary journey of creating Fall Scarecrow Carrot Cake Cupcakes, you will need to have the following kitchen tools ready.
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services I think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, I may make a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend items I use and love.
- stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment OR hand-held mixer
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- 12-count muffin/cupcake pan
- cupcake liners
- mixing bowls
- whisk or mixing spoon
- wire rack for cooling
Ingredients You Will Need to Make Scarecrow Carrot Cake Cupcakes
Curate the magic of these Fall Scarecrow Carrot Cake Cupcakes with the following blend of essential ingredients. There are two distinct ingredient sets. The first section is the essentials for the moist carrot cake cupcakes. Following that, are the ingredients for the delightful decorations. Your kitchen is about to transform into a canvas of autumn joy!
Carrot Cake Cupcakes Ingredients
Makes 12 cupcakes
- grated carrots
- vegetable oil
- Apple Sauce (original)
- brown sugar
- crushed pineapple
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda
- baking powder
- ground nutmeg
- ground cloves
Ingredients Needed to Decorate the Cupcakes
- Cream Cheese Icing – store-bought or homemade
- M&M’s® – for the eyes and nose, regular or Peanut
- Sugar wafers – to make the hat
- Black cookie icing – for the mouth
- Multiple colors of cookie icing – to decorate the hats
- Chow mein noodles – for the hair
- Shredded wheat cereal (full size, not the minis)
Instructions to Make Fall Scarecrow Carrot Cake Cupcakes
Crafting these Fall Scarecrow Carrot Cake Cupcakes involves two key steps: first, follow the straightforward instructions to bake the moist carrot cake cupcakes. Then, unleash your creativity with the second set of instructions, guiding you through the delightful process of decorating these charming treats. let’s infuse some autumn magic into your baking!
How to Make Carrot Cake Cupcakes
Step One: Prep
- Begin by preheating the oven to 400° F.
- Line a muffin pan with baking cups.
Step Two: Make the Batter
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, oil, apple sauce, sugars, pineapple, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and a small pinch of ground cloves, and mix well.
- Next slowly add the dry mixture into the bowl with the wet ingredients, making sure to thoroughly combine all ingredients.
- Now stir the shredded carrots into the batter.
Step Three: Fill Muffin Tins
- Fill each cupcake liner about 3/4 full.
Step Four: Bake and Cool
- Place in the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Once finished, remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before icing.
*These are heavier cupcakes so they may not rise as much as regular cupcakes.
While the cupcakes are cooling, go ahead and set up the ingredients that will be used to decorate the cupcakes. I found it makes things a lot easier to put each ingredient into its own bowl. This way you can quickly grab what you need and add it to the cupcake.
Step Five: Frost
- Once the cupcakes have completely cooled, frost each one with the Cream Cheese Icing using a knife or spatula.
And now it’s time for the fun part – decorating the cupcakes! Kids will get a kick out of helping you turn these cupcakes into scarecrows for Fall and/or Halloween!
Instructions for How to Decorate the Scarecrow Cupcakes
Step One: Make the Hats
- Begin by using the sugar wafer cookies for the hats, first cutting them down to size.
- Next, insert 2 toothpicks into the top backside of the cupcake in order to provide a bit more support for the hats.
- Now use a dab of frosting to stick the two pieces of the hat together into one…
- and then place the finished hat on the cupcake.
Step Two: Add the Hair
- Insert a few chow mein noodles on either side of the hat for the hair…
Step Three: Add the Eyes
- Add two brown M&M’s® for the eyes right beneath the hat.
Step Four: Add the Nose
- Next, add a yellow M&M for the nose.
Step Five: Draw the Mouth
- Use the black cookie icing to draw a big grin underneath the nose.
Step Six: Add the Hay
- Now take a few pieces of the shredded wheat cereal and pull it apart into strands to use as hay stuffing.
- Place them around the bottom of the scarecrow’s face.
Step Seven: Decorate the Hat
- Last, add some decoration to the scarecrow’s hat using the colored cookie icing.
And your carrot cake cupcakes have now been transformed into scarecrows!
Adding the Cupcake Wrappers – Free Printable Cupcake Wrapper Template
Once all of the cupcakes are decorated it’s time to add the final touch – the cupcake wrappers!
To do this simply print out the free cupcake wrapper pattern on a pretty piece of cardstock (or use it as a template to trace on your favorite fun Fall craft paper).
After the wrappers are printed, use scissors to cut them out so they resemble the one in the picture above. Then to close the wrappers, you can either insert the tab into the slot (if you decided to cut out this part) or just use a dab of glue to connect it on the backside.
Last, but not least, gently place the cupcakes down into the wrapper, and…that’s it – you’re done!
Now all that’s left to do is to sit down and enjoy the sweet taste of Fall!
Variations, Additions, and Substitutions
Elevate your Fall Scarecrow Carrot Cake Cupcakes with these creative ideas:
- Nutty Delight: Add a crunchy twist by incorporating chopped walnuts or pecans into the cupcake batter for a delightful nutty flavor.
- Sweet Surprises: Experiment with sweetness by tossing in raisins or dried cranberries to the batter, creating bursts of sweetness in every bite.
- Seasonal Spice: Embrace the fall spirit by infusing a dash of pumpkin spice into the cream cheese frosting, giving your cupcakes a seasonal and aromatic kick.
- Gluten-Free Option: Opt for a gluten-free version by substituting all-purpose flour with your preferred gluten-free alternative, making these cupcakes accessible to all.
The beauty of these cupcakes lies in their versatility, so feel free to mix and match these ideas or come up with your own to make each batch uniquely yours!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Can I make these Fall scarecrow carrot cake cupcakes ahead of time? Absolutely! Bake the cupcakes in advance and store them in an airtight container. Frost and decorate them just before serving to maintain their freshness.
- Can I customize the decorations? Certainly! Get creative with the scarecrow details. Try different colored icing for the hats or experiment with various candies for the facial features.
- How long do the cupcakes stay fresh? Stored in the refrigerator, these cupcakes stay fresh for up to three days. For the best taste, bring them to room temperature before serving.
- Can I make a larger batch for a party? Absolutely! As is, this recipe makes 12 cupcakes. Simply double or triple the ingredients to accommodate a larger gathering. The recipe is versatile and easy to scale.
- Can I freeze these cupcakes? Yes, you can freeze the cupcakes (unfrosted and undecorated) for up to a month. Thaw them in the refrigerator before serving, and frost and decorate as usual.
Feel free to reach out if you have more questions or need further assistance in crafting these delightful Fall Scarecrow Carrot Cake Cupcakes!
Here’s to the joy of fall and the magic of Scarecrow Carrot Cake Cupcakes!
Indulge in the enchantment of autumn with these Scarecrow Carrot Cake Cupcakes! Transform your kitchen into a canvas of delight by baking, decorating, and savoring these whimsical treats. Don’t miss the chance to add a touch of magic to your fall festivities.
Print the recipe, pin it for later, and share your baking adventures in the comments below.
Let the joy of Fall Scarecrow Cupcakes fill your home!
Free Printable Recipe Card
Ingredients for the Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- 2 eggs
- 3/8 cup vegetable oil, or 6 tablespoons
- 1/4 cup Mott's® Apple Sauce, Original
- 1 /2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 8- oz. can of crushed pineapple, well drained
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1.5 cups carrots, grated
Ingredients for Decorating
- 1 tub Pillsbury™ Creamy Supreme® Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 bag M&M's® Pecan Pie, for eyes and nose
- 1 tube Black cookie icing, for the mouths
- Multiple colors of cookie icing, to decorate hats
- 1 cup Chow mein noodles for the hair, for the hair
- 24 Sugar wafer cookies, for the hats
- 1 cup Shredded wheat cereal
- Preheat oven to 400° degrees F. **See note below.**
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, apple sauce, sugars, pineapple and 2 teaspoons vanilla.
- In a separate large bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and small pinch of ground cloves.
- Slowly add the dry mixture into the bowl with the wet ingredients, mixing well.
- Stir the shredded carrots into the batter.
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake wrappers and fill each line about 3/4 full.
- Place in the oven to bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in to middle of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before icing.
- Add M&Ms for eyes and nose
- Begin by making the hats, Cut two sugar wafers down to size. Now insert 2 toothpicks into the top backside of the cupcake. These will provide a bit more support for the hats. Use a dab of frosting to stick the two pieces of the hat together into one, then place the finished hat on the cupcake
- Insert a few chow mein noodles on either side of the hat for the hair.
- Add two brown Pecan Pie M&M's® for the eyes.
- Add a yellow M&M for the nose.
- Draw a smile using the black cookie icing.
- Take a few pieces of the shredded wheat cereal and pull it apart into strands to be used for the hay around the bottom of the scarecrow's face.
- Use the other colored cookie icings to add some decoration to the scarecrow's hat.
- Print out the free cupcake wrapper pattern on a pretty piece of cardstock (or use it as a template to trace on your favorite fun Fall craft paper), and place each finished cupcake into a wrapper.
These are heavier cupcakes so they may not rise as much as regular cupcakes. In order to encourage rising, I start off baking the cupcakes at 400° F for 8 minutes, then decrease the oven temp to 350°F and let finish baking. If you don't want to do this, just preheat the oven to - and bake the cupcakes at - 350°F.**
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 488Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 363mgCarbohydrates: 84gFiber: 2gSugar: 57gProtein: 5g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.