Tender and moist chicken thighs are soaked in a savory-sweet marinade then grilled for a simple yet flavorful dinner in this Grilled Sesame Chicken Thighs recipe. A quick and easy dinner recipe the whole family will love.
With more and more people cooking at home these days, variety is the name of the game. This recipe for grilled sesame chicken thighs combines savory and sweet flavors into a simple but delicious Asian- inspired chicken recipe that is sure to become a favorite!
Chicken is one of the most versatile meats. It can be flavored and cooked in so many different ways with ease. It can be sweet, spicy, savory, or downright tender and juicy. And one of my favorite ways to cook it is on the grill.
Grilling is such a simple and fast way to make all sorts of amazing recipes. And any recipe that is quick and easy, well, I’m all for it! That’s why this grilled sesame chicken recipe is one of my absolute favorites!
There’s just something about the flavors of sesame, soy sauce, ginger, and garlic that highlights the flavor of chicken meat in such a deliciously fabulous way! And when grilled correctly, every single bite is flavorful perfection.
If you’re looking for one of the best chicken thigh recipes ever then you’ve got to try this Grilled Sesame Chicken Thighs recipe.
How to Make Grilled Sesame Chicken Thighs
This sesame chicken really is quick and simple to make. All you need are a few easy-to-find ingredients and about an hour. This recipe serves 4 people.
What You Need to Make Grilled Sesame Chicken Thighs
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services I think you’ll like. If you make a purchase from one of these links, Bullock’s Buzz will make a small commission at no additional cost to you. All products that I recommend are ones that I have (or have had), use, and love.
Kitchen Tools Needed
- meat thermometer
- small, microwave-safe mixing bowl
- shallow baking dish
- small saucepan
- mixing spoon
- chef’s knife
- basting brush
- grilling tongs (I love this grilling tools set!)
Grilled Sesame Chicken Thighs Ingredients
You’ll find the complete ingredients and instructions in the printable recipe card below.
- boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- soy sauce
- sesame oil
- fresh ginger root
- garlic cloves
- toasted sesame seeds
- green onion (for garnish, if desired)
Do I Have to Use Chicken Thighs for this Recipe?
While this recipe calls for chicken thighs, you can use any cut of chicken you prefer. However, I do have to say that using chicken thighs offers a depth of flavor that can only be found in dark meat.
Plus, chicken thighs are tender, full of juice, affordable, and they cook quickly. And it’s nearly impossible to overcook or dry them out.
Once you try it with chicken thighs, I think you’ll agree that the extra juiciness, tenderness, and flavor makes using them a must!
Marinating the Chicken
Marinating this sesame chicken doesn’t take long at all. I usually marinate them for a minimum of 15 minutes, although I’ve gone as long as half an hour, too. As is true with any marinade, the longer you marinate, the better the flavor, but 30 minutes is more than enough for a flavorful dinner.
The biggest thing to remember when marinating is to make certain that you get the chicken covered completely with all the marinade to lock-in that delicious flavor and taste!
How Long Do These Sesame Chicken Thighs Have to Cook?
The grilling time for this chicken recipe takes anywhere from 12 to 16 minutes. However, since grilling times can vary from one grill to the next, it’s always a good idea to have a meat thermometer on hand. That way you can be absolutely certain that the inside of the chicken is cooked to NO LESS than 165° F.
What Sides Go Great with Grilled Sesame Chicken?
While grilled chicken goes with anything, this particular recipe goes wonderfully with sides such as white or brown rice, grilled, steamed or stir-fried vegetables, and even potatoes like these oven-roasted red potatoes.
How to Store Leftover Grilled Sesame Chicken Thighs
In the rare event you have any leftovers (yes, this recipe is that good!), store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator if you are planning to eat them the next day. Try to save a bot of marinade for basting, too.
If you plan to eat them in the next couple of days, they freeze very well. Simply store them in a freezer-safe bag or airtight container. As far as the marinade, I’ve never frozen any, but you could always try, or simply make a bit more when you are ready to eat the leftovers.
Printable Grilled Sesame Chicken Recipe
Grilled Sesame Chicken Thighs
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs about 8 thighs
- 2 cups soy sauce low sodium
- 8 tsp sesame oil
- 4 tbsp honey
- 6 slices fresh ginger root
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 3 sliced green onions for garnish
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, sesame oil, honey, ginger root, and garlic until completely combined.
- Place bowl in microwave and heat on medium for one minute, then stir. Heat for an additional 30 seconds making sure it doesn't boil. Stir.
- Place chicken in a shallow dish and cover with the marinade. Allow chicken to soak for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Drain the marinade from the chicken into a small saucepan, and bring to a boil. Allow it to simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes, then set aside for basting.
- Lightly oil the grill grate. Cook chicken on the prepared grill for 6 to 8 minutes per side, or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F and is golden brown. Baste frequently with remaining marinade.
- Remove from grill. Serve garnished with sesame seeds and green onion.
More Mouth-Watering Grilled Recipes
If you’re looking for some more fantastic grilled recipes, I think you will love these!
Be sure to check out even more delicious recipes on my other blog, Sweet and Savory Morsels!