Did you know that today, October 4th, is National Taco Day? Last year, Americans ate over 4.5 billion tacos, so it’s no wonder tacos have their own holiday. To celebrate, join Chef Aarón Sánchez and Ortega for a National Taco Day Twitter party packed full of delicious taco recipes, tips and tricks starting at 1pm EST! Be sure to follow @Ortega and @Chef_Aaron for more details!
In anticipation of National Taco Day, Ortega sent me some of their tasty products to try along with a recipe by Chef Aarón Sánchez. The first item was a box of their Fiesta Flats Flat Bottom Taco Shells, along with a package of their Taco Seasoning Mix (40% less sodium) and a bottle of Mild Garden Vegetable Salsa.
A Tasty Taco Recipe: Fundido Fiesta Flats
This was the first time I had even seen the Fiesta Flats Flat Bottom Taco Shells which are shaped like little taco boats. After warming them for three minutes in an oven preheated to 350°, they were tasty and crunchy.
The Taco Seasoning Mix and a 1/2 cup of water were added to a skillet of browned meat after draining the grease off. Cooked together for about 2 minutes, it gave the meat the perfect amount of flavor, not too spicy and not too salty. I love that this seasoning had 40% less sodium!
Then cubes of cheese were added to a cup of the Garden Veggie Salsa and heated in the microwave for about 2 minutes, until the cheese was completely melted. The taste of vegetable-filled salsa mixed with American cheese was a perfect combination!
Finally, we scooped the seasoned meat into the shells, topped them with the salsa-cheese sauce, added some lettuce then sprinkled on a tad of cilantro.
Time to eat!
Then entire dinner took 10 minutes to prep and five minutes to cook, and made enough for four hungry adults.
Now, to help you celebrate national Taco Day in style, here is the recipe for this tasty taco dinner.
FUNDIDO FIESTA FLATS RECIPE
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 5 minutes
Makes 4 servings.
1 lb ground beef
1 package (1.25 oz.) ORTEGA® Taco Seasoning Mix or 40% Less Sodium Taco Seasoning Mix
½ cup water
6 oz. American cheese, cubed
1 jar (16 oz.) ORTEGA® Salsa (any variety)
Chopped fresh cilantro
12 ORTEGA® Fiesta Flats™ Taco Shells
1. Brown beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat; drain.
2. Stir in taco seasoning and water, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened.
3. Meanwhile, combine cheese and one cup salsa in a microwave-safe bowl and cook on high for 1-2 minutes, stirring every 20 seconds, until smooth.
4. Evenly spoon meat mixture into Fiesta Flats™ and top with the cheese mixture.
5. Then top with additional salsa and sprinkle with cilantro.
Enjoy! And Happy Taco Day!
FUNDIDO FIESTA FLATS™
A quick and delicious recipe in celebration of National Taco Day by Chef Aarón Sánchez and Ortega.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 package, 1.25 oz. ORTEGA® Taco Seasoning Mix or 40% Less Sodium Taco Seasoning Mix
- ½ cup water
- 6 oz. American cheese, cubed
- 1 jar, 16 oz. ORTEGA® Salsa (any variety)
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- 12 ORTEGA® Fiesta Flats™ Taco Shells
- Brown beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat; drain.
- Stir in taco seasoning and water, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, combine cheese and one cup salsa in a microwave-safe bowl and cook on high for 1-2 minutes, stirring every 20 seconds, until smooth.
- Evenly spoon meat mixture into Fiesta Flats™ and top with the cheese mixture.
- Then top with additional salsa and sprinkle with cilantro.
Serving Size:1 flat
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 523Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 134mgSodium: 2219mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 40g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.