Earth Day is all about honoring the planet that we live and play on. And there is no better way to honor the planet than by committing to greener living – not just for Earth Day but all year round! Here are 8 Simple Ways to Go Green – this Earth Day and beyond.
1. Save Energy & Water: Turn Off Water / Lights & Unplug
Energy conservation is an incredibly easy way to reduce your family’s impact on the planet. There are lots of little things you can do both at home and work.
- Make a point to turn off the lights off when not using them and whenever you leave a room.
- Open the curtains and use natural sunlight to light your home during the day.
- Unplug appliances and cell phone chargers when not in use
- try to incorporate LED lighting where you can. If you can’t, use Energy Star-rated CFL bulbs in other places especially your outdoor porch light and bathroom vanity which are the most frequently used fixtures in a home.
- using your microwave or toaster oven to reheat or cook small portions can reduce cooking energy by as much as 80%!
- consider installing water conserving appliances.
- Replace your old showerhead with newer shower heads that are now required to have a lower flow rate.
- Turn off the water while you are brushing your teeth.
- Wash laundry in cold water instead of hot.
2. Plant a Herb and/or Vegetable Garden
Planting an herb garden or vegetable garden is a wonderful way to make your life a little eco-friendlier. The food you produce in that garden will be fresher and will reduce the greenhouse gases needed to transport produce to the markets. You could even create a greenhouse for these vegetables, using acrylic sheets instead of plastic or glass for both integrity and sustainability.
3. Use Reusable Bags for All of Your Shopping
Did you know that it takes a very long time for plastic bags to break down in our landfills? Scientific guesstimates range from 20 to 1000 years! Stop using those disposable plastic bags and instead order some reusable bags. And when you forget to bring your bags along either take the plastic shopping bags back to participating grocery stores or try to re-use them as often as possible.
4. Quit Buying Bottled Water
Just like plastic bags, plastic bottles from water and sodas are a major environmental issue. Save money and water by buying an inexpensive reusable water bottle.
5. Make your own Household Cleaners or Buy Green Cleaners
Using green products which lack harmful chemicals is another easy change we can all make. I’ve been using eco-friendly cleaners for years, and I love them! I’ve found that many clean much better than their toxic counterparts. Sometimes I buy them, and other times I make my own eco-friendly cleansers. Worried they are too expensive? Don;t be! These products are becoming more affordable as companies embrace the cost saving benefits of a truly sustainable business.
6. Green Commuting
Instead of making multiple trips, combine your errands into one big trip, one time per week. Look into carpooling. Taking a road trip? Rent a hybrid car. Here are a few more eco-friendly travel tips.
7. Cut Back on Paper Use
If you stop and think about the amount of paper, we throw away each day, you’d be surprised! There are plenty of simple ways to eliminate unnecessary paper use. File your taxes electronically. Get e-tickets for the movies and get e-tickets and boarding passes when traveling. Cancel your newspaper subscription and read the news online instead. Sign up for online bill pay and online banking to reduce paper bills and statements. Put a stop to unsolicited mail—sign up to opt out of pre-screened credit card offers.
8. Scott® Tube-Free Bath Tissue
Use toilet paper with less waste! Did you know that over 17 billion toilet tubes are used each year?! That’s enough to fill the empire state building — twice! Luckily there is an easy solution: #TossTheTube with Scott® Tube-Free Bath Tissue!
And guess what? You can save money and save time all while you are helping to save the planet because Scott® Tube-Free Bath Tissue is available on Amazon’s subscribe and save! That means you can set up your delivery and forget it.
Want to find out more about Scott® products? Head on over to Amazon!
What easy changes to go green can you make for your family? Share with us in the comments below!