If your dog is your beloved pet, the last thing you want to experience is the thought of losing them, as this can be quite worrisome and frustrating. Fortunately, you shouldn’t have such concerns if you buy a GPS dog collar. GPS collars allow you to always know the whereabouts of your dog, hence, allowing you to enjoy peace of mind.
But many pet owners, before buying this handy gadget, ask themselves lots of questions. One that does stand out is, does the GPS dog collars really work? This is most certainly a valid question as you don’t want to spend your hard-earned money buying one, yet it doesn’t guarantee the safety of your four-legged pet. So without further ado, let’s take a look at what GPS collars are and whether they’re any good.
What Are GPS Collars?
A Global Position System (GPS) dog collar is a gadget that’s actively connected to real-time cell-phone modems or satellite receivers to track your dog’s real-time location. The collar will convey your dog’s live location to your laptop or smartphone.
With this gadget, you never have to worry about your pet’s location when walking, hunting, or hiking. This is why it has become a popular purchase among ordinary dog owners, hunters, professionals, and scientists.
Does The GPS Dog Collar Really Work?
This is one question you must be asking yourself as a concerned dog owner, and you’ll be glad to know that they do. Many GPS collars work by connecting to satellites and conveying your dog’s precise location coordinates to your laptop or smartphone so long as there’s a stable internet connection. On the other hand, others combine radio signals with GPS to convey information to the desired receiver.
There are different features integrated into the collars that enable it to identify your dog’s location capably. These features include;
- A rechargeable battery.
- Tracking your dog in real-time on a map, typically Google maps.
- Option to create a “home zone” for your beloved four-legged pet. If your dog remains within this zone, the GPS collar goes into the battery-saving mode, and you don’t get any notices.
- A downloadable smartphone app to track your dog’s movements.
- Email or text alerts whenever your dog goes beyond the home zone.
Which Dog Should One?
The GPS dog collar, which is usually small and lightweight, is ideal for all types of dogs regardless of their sizes. This is because you can never be too sure that an accident won’t happen regardless of how well-trained your dog is. With that said, there are some scenarios that further show the importance of having a one, and these include;
- Traveling through unfamiliar territory because it increases the chances that you’ll lose your beloved pet.
- If your dog often tries finding its way beyond the confines of your compound by digging out of the lawn, climbing fences, or opening doors.
- If your dog spends a huge portion of the day alone at home and wants to enjoy peace of mind while out at work or running your errands.
- If your dog has a hearing impairment due to age or is completely deaf.
- Your four-legged pet doesn’t have an excellent recall.
- During winter when dogs are prone to get confused even when passing through familiar territory. This usually happens because your dog experiences a hard time finding its way back home.
What Are The Benefits of a GPS Dog Collar?
Getting a collar provides your beloved pet with numerous benefits, and this includes;
1. Helps You To Always Know Your Dog’s Location
The main advantage of the GPS collar is that it enables you to know your dog’s exact location. This is possible thanks to the GPS tracking feature, which lets you put up a virtual fence or Geo-fence that alerts you anytime your dog goes beyond it. It also consistently tracks your dog’s real-time location. Therefore, you’ll be able to ensure your dog is safe at all times and free you of any worries as a pet owner.
2. Also Serves as A Health Monitor
While you should always ensure that your dog is safe within your home’s compound, it’s also important to consistently check its overall health. This can be a challenge because dogs can’t say when they need help or are sick. The GPS dog collar helps alleviate this problem by consistently tracking your pet’s health by examining aspects such as body temperature. In addition, this gadget enables you to store important medical records and plan how to book an appointment with a vet.
3. GPS Collars Are Pet Friendly
Implanting a microchip underneath your dog’s skin is quite painful and can result in some complications later in the future, such as sarcoma. However, this isn’t an issue that should ever arise with the pet-friendly GPS collar, as it doesn’t cause your pet any pain or discomfort. GPS dog collars do this as they don’t irritate the skin or produce harsh chemicals that lead to adverse effects.