Nothing beats the smell of chocolate chip cookies baking in the oven Well nothing except eating those fresh baked chocolate chip cookies right out of the oven along with an ice cold glass of milk! Hungry yet? My recipe for deliciously soft and chewy, Double Chocolate Chip Cookies will satisfy even the most discerning sweet tooth!
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
As is, this recipe will make approximately 30 to 36 cookies depending on how large you make them.
Prep time: 10 – 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Ingredients for Making Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons hot water
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (can also substitute butterscotch chips)
Instructions for Making Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
1. preheat oven to 350°
2. In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth.
3. Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating until mixed in well.
4. Add in the vanilla.
5. In a cup, add the baking soda to the hot water, stirring until complete dissolved. Add to mix.
6. Add in salt.
7. Blend until all ingredients are well mixed.
8. While blending, slowly add each of the 3 cups of flour. Blending until thoroughly mixed with other ingredients.
9. Stir in chocolate chips.
10. Drop by the spoonful onto ungreased baking sheets.
11. Cook for 10 minutes or until edges are nicely browned.
12. Set aside to cool. Remember, the Double Chocolate Chip Cookies will continue to cook a bit as they rest, so if they do not look all the way done when you remove them from the oven, give them a few!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, can also substitute butterscotch chips
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In mixing bowl, cream together the butter, white sugar and brown sugar until smooth.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating until mixed in well
- Add in the vanilla.
- In a cup, add the baking soda to the hot water, stirring until complete dissolved. Add to mix.
- Add in salt.
- Blend until all ingredients are well mixed.
- While blending, slowly add each of the 3 cups of flour. Mix until thoroughly combined with other ingredients.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop by the spoonful onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until edges are nicely browned.
- Set aside to cool.
Remember, they will continue to cook a bit as they rest, so if they do not look all the way done when you remove them from the oven, give them a few!
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 301Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 174mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 1gSugar: 28gProtein: 3g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.
Tools of The Trade
The kind folks at OXO sent me an OXO Good Cookie Tool Set to help with all of my cookie baking needs, and I used them to make that delicious cookie recipe above! They make baking so much easier! I still use these tools today (2021 update).
You can find all of these OXO baking tools on Amazon, including:
- Silicone Cookie Spatula – this OXO cookie spatula makes removing cookies a cinch! Made of silicone bonded to flexible stainless steel, the spatula features rounded corners for scraping sticky dough out of spoons, and an angled handle to help keep hands away from food. Heat resistant to 600 degrees F, this spatula is safe for non-stick cookware and dishwasher-safe!
- 6 Piece Measuring Spoon Set – this set comes with 6 individual measuring spoons including 1/8 tsp., 1/4 tsp., 1/2 tsp., 1 tsp., 1/2 T., and 1 T. The updated version (2021) comes with a unique snap feature to hold the spoons together as well as allowing them to fan out so you can find the right size quickly and easily. Plus the handles now feature color-coded markings.
- 6 Piece Measuring Cup Set – this BPA-free measuring cup set comes with 6 cups including 1/3, 1/4, 1/2, 2/3, and 1 cup measurement, and has permanent measurement markings on the handles. Plus, each cup features a convenient half-measurement line. The updated version (2021) comes with a unique and handy snap feature to hold the cups together, as well as secondary color-coded measurements on the sides to make finding the right size quickly easy.
- 3-in-1 Egg Separator makes separating the yolk a breeze! Designed with a comfortable handle and to fit pretty much any bowl, this 3-in-1 yolk sepearator prevents drips from running down the side of bowls and onto counters and tables,and also keeps egg shells from falling into batters and recipes. Plus, its raised edge is perfect for easily cracking eggs.