The refreshing Scarlett O’Hara Cocktail perfectly balances the fruity sweetness of Southern Comfort liquor with the tanginess of lime and cranberry juice to give you a tart and fruity cocktail that’s wonderfully delicious!
In 1939 the classic movie, Gone with The Wind was released. And as one story goes, another classic was born that year, too. A ruby red cocktail named after the movie’s heroine – the Scarlett O’Hara cocktail.
A second story says that the cocktail was a promotional push in the 1950’s by Ocean Spray for their cranberry juice.
Whatever the story, the Scarlett O’Hara cocktail is a timeless drink that’s as memorable as the movie. A silver screen sipper that’s perfect for a Southern blogger to share, don’t y’all think?
Southern Comfort Cocktail
As far as as Southern Comfort cocktails go, this is defintely one of my favorites. I love the sweet and tangy mixture of cranberry and lime juice combined with the fruity sweetness of Southern Comfort liqueur.
And that color! That gorgeous, scarlett color is reminescent of a fiery Southern sunset.
How to Make a Scarlett O’Hara Cocktail
This refreshing summer sipper is as easy to make as it is delicious! Made with three simple ingredients: Southern Comfort, cranberry juice and lime, it takes less than 3 minutes to make from start to finish.
Bartender’s Tools You May Find Helpful
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services I think you’ll like. If you make a purchase from one of these links, Bullock’s Buzz will make a small commission at no additional cost to you. As always, I only recommend products that I use and love.
Scarlett O’Hara Cocktail Ingredients
With a flavor profile that is bold and sweet, but also tart and sassy at the same time, this simple-to-throw-together cocktail utilizes three simple ingredients you may already have on hand.
Adds notes of whiskey, fruit and spice
The dominate flavor, fruity and tart. No special juice needed. Simply use the common cranberry cocktail juice. This also adds a hint of sweetness.
Fresh Lime Juice
Gives this cocktail an exciting citrus note. Freshly-squeezed lime juice works best as it has that sharp, intense flavor. If all you have is the bottled kind, that will work, too.
Used as garnish, the lime wedge adds an additional touch of class to this Southern cocktail – and it looks good doing it, too.
Instructions to Make Scarlett O’Hara Cocktail
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add the Southern Comfort and lime juice.
- Top with the cranberry juice and shake well.
- Strain into the martini glass, then garnish with a lime wedge. Serve and enjoy.
Variations on the Scarlett O’Hara Cocktail
There are several versions of this classic cocktail. In my opinion, this one is the best. However, if you want to try something different, consider trying one of the following:
- Use grenadine in place of the cranberry juice.
- Try peach liquer instead of Southern Comfort.
- Skip the lime juice and combine just Southern Comfort (2 oz) with cranberry juice (3 oz).
- Pour 1 1/2 ounces each of Southern Comfort and lime juice combined with 3/4 ounce lime juice.
- For a tall highball, mix Southern Comfort (2 oz), up to 6 ounces cranberry juice, and a spolash of lime juice.
- Make a Scarlett O’Hara punch by adding a clear soda such as ginger ale, lemon-lime, or club soda
More Cocktail Recipes You’ll Love!
If you like this Scarlett O’Hara cocktail, you’ll love the Alabama Slammer. It’s sweeter and fruitier, but with a good quality sloe gin, it’s incredibly tasty.
Don’t forget to check out our other cocktail recipes like my Carribean Punch recipe (most popular cocktail post!), this Cupid’s Heart Red Cocktail, the vibrant green Time Stone Cocktail, and this pretty purple Magic Potion cocktail!
And be sure to try one of our other cocktail recipes:
Like It? Tried It? Share It!
Nothing makes me happier than seeing your take on my recipes. So if you make this Scarlett O’Hara cocktail, tag me at @bullocksbuzz (Instagram and Facebook) or @alainabullock (on Twitter) and use the #BullocksBuzz so I can see your creation and share it!
Want to try this Southern Comfort cocktail recipe later? Be sure to save it on Pinterest so you’ll remember where to find it. Speaking of Pinterest, you may also enjoy my Cocktails board and my Mocktails board!
Also, if you liked this cocktail recipe, please comment and leave me a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below!
Scarlett O’Hara Cocktail Recipe Card Printable
- 2 ounces Southern Comfort
- 2-4 ounces Cranberry juice, or to taste
- ½ ounce Lime juice, fresh squeezed
- Fill cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add the Southern Comfort liqueur, cranberry juice, and lime juice.
- Cover and shake for 1-2 minutes.
- Strain the cocktail into a large martini glass.
- Garnish with a wedge of lime.
All nutritional information is an estimate via the very well fit nutrition calculator
Serving Size:1 cocktail
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 237Unsaturated Fat: 0g