Frankenstein Halloween Treats with Twinkies
I love to make Halloween treats, especially when they are as adorable and impressive as these Spooky Frankenstein Twinkies. In fact, these Frankenstein Halloween treats are so darn cute, I don’t know that I could eat them! Best of all, they couldn’t be easier to make. There is no baking involved, and they only take five ingredients. They are a great treat for the kids, and are sure to be one of the cutest treats at any Halloween party. Plus they pair perfectly with these One Eyed Purple People Eater Marshmallow Pops, or these Halloween Popcorn Ball Witches!
Making these Frankenstein Halloween treats is pretty straight forward. The head is the Twinkie, the chocolate jimmies are the hair, and black Sixlets are used for the bolts on the neck. Add the candy eyes, and then use black icing to draw the scar and mouth. The prep time for these Spooky Frankenstein Twinkies is about one hour, but that includes the 30 minutes you have them in the freezer.
Ready to see how to make these Frankenstein Halloween treats using Twinkies?
How to make Frankenstein Halloween Treats using Twinkies
To make Frankenstein Halloween treats you will need:
Cookie Sticks — I prefer using cookie sticks to lollipop sticks because they’re thicker and sturdier.
Green Candy Melts
Black Sixlets for the eyes
Chocolate Jimmies for the hair
Black Decorating Icing – I used a toothpick to ‘draw’ the scar and mouth since I did not have a small icing tips.
Wilton Melting Pot — this is completely optional, but if you’ve ever had any trouble melting candy melts or chocolate in the past, I highly recommend this candy melting pot. After thinking about it for three years, I finally bought one and I’m so glad I did! You just toss your candy in it and walk away…perhaps giving it a stir or two. It melts the candy perfectly!!
(To purchase any of the necessary items, just click them in the above list. I have links embedded in each to make things easier on you! These are affiliate links so if you make a purchase using them, I’ll make a small commission at no extra cost to you).
Directions to make Frankenstein Halloween treats
- Place the Twinkies in the freezer for about 30 minutes. This makes them easier to work with.
- Prepare a baking sheet by covering it with wax or parchment paper. Tip: an additional light spray of cooking oil ensures the Twinkies don’t stick at all.
- Melt the green candy either by using the candy melting pot or by microwaving for 30 seconds, then stirring and repeating until melted.
- Insert the top 1/3 of a cookie stick into the melted candy, then place it in the center of the Twinkie. Make sure you insert the stick into the Twinkie at least halfway.
- Place the Twinkies on the baking sheet and put them in the freezer for about 15 minutes to allow the candy to harden. This will ensure the stick stays in place.
- Coat each Twinkie in the melted candy, rolling the allow the excess candy to drip off.
- Then dip the top part of the Twinkie into a bowl of chocolate jimmies to make the hair.
- Place the Twinkies back on the wax paper lined baking sheet and return them to the freezer for 10 to 15 more minutes, or until the candy has hardened.
- Once you remove them from the freezer, use a knife to carefully trim off any candy that ran off the sides.
- Next, using the melted candy as “glue”, apply two eyes to the top 1/3 of the Twinkies.
- Do the same with the black Sixlets, “gluing” one on each side of the lower 1/3 of the Twinkie for the bolts.
- Add the scar and the mouth using the black icing. Tip: if you don’t have a small enough icing tip, use a toothpick as a “pen”, dipping it in the icing and then ‘drawing’ the mouth and scar.
And there you have it. Frankenstein Twinkies that are sure to make them scream with delight! Don’t miss the handy-dandy printable version of this recipe at the bottom of the page.
I hope you love these Frankenstein Halloween treats for kids as much as I enjoyed making them! Use the social sharing buttons below the post title to share with friends and family!
- 1 bag of green candy melts
- Chocolate jimmies
- Candy eyes
- Black decorating icing
- Cookie sticks
- Place Twinkies in freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare a baking sheet or cutting board by covering with parchment or wax paper.
- Melt candy chips either using a candy melting pot, or by microwaving 30 seconds then stirring and repeating until melted.
- Insert top 1/3 of cookie stick in melted candy. Place in center of Twinkie.
- Place the Twinkies on a wax paper lined baking sheet and put them in the freezer for about 10 minutes to allow the candy to harden. This will ensure the stick stays on place.
- Coat each Twinkie in melted candy and roll to allow the excess candy to drip off.
- Before the candy begins to set, dip the top of each Twinkie in the bowl of Jimmies to make the hair.
- Place the Twinkie on the wax paper lined baking sheet and put back into the freezer for 10 minutes or so, until candy coating is set.
- Using a knife carefully trim excess chocolate that ran off the sides of the Frankenstein Twinkies.
- Using the melted candy as "glue", place 2 eyes on top 1/3 of the Twinkies.
- Do the same with the black Sixlets, placing on each each side of the Twinkie for the bolts.
- Allow to set for 3-4 minutes.
- Using either a toothpick or icing tip, add the scar and mouth.
- The melted candy should be very liquidy
- If you are having difficulty getting them to melt that thin, add a small amount (1/2 tsp) of shortening and stir. Add more as needed in small increments.
Other easy Halloween treats you may enjoy.
Do you have a favorite Halloween treat? I’d love to hear about it! In fact, I may even feature your treat in a blog post, with credit to you, of course! Share with us in the comments below.