Enjoy Cajun food even when you’re not in New Orleans with this simple weeknight Red Beans and Rice recipe. Smoky, hearty, and slightly spicy, this incredibly delicious Red Beans and Rice is the ultimate Cajun comfort food.
Growing up in the South with a father who owned a restaurant, I was raised on delicious food. That man could cook practically any dish – ranging from French to Jewish to Chinese cuisine – and it would come out tasting amazing. One of my absolute favorite meals was his Cajun-inspired Red Beans and Rice.
HOW TO MAKE EASY WEEKNIGHT RED BEANS AND RICE
This simple Red Beans and Rice recipe is one of those meals that taste as though you spent hours in the hot kitchen putting it all together. But just between you and me, in reality it takes a little over an hour from start to finish. And once they taste it, your family will beg you for more!
KITCHEN TOOLS YOU MAY NEED:
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services I think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, I may make a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend items I use and love.
- large skillet
- small skillet
- large stirring spoon
- chef’s knife
- cutting board
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
RED BEANS AND RICE INGREDIENTS
- kidney beans
- olive oil
- green bell pepper
- Cajun seasoning
- cayenne pepper
- bay leaves
- sea salt
- Andouille sausage
- long grain white rice
INSTRUCTIONS TO MAKE RED BEANS AND RICE
Making this red beans and rice is super easy.
Step One: Sauté
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the garlic, onion, green pepper, and celery in the olive oil. Next, stir the beans in to the cooked vegetables.
Step Two: Season
Add the Cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper, thyme, sage, parsley, salt and bay leaves.
Step Three: Simmer
Mix well, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer.
Step Four: Cook Sausage
In the meantime, cook the sliced sausage in a smaller pan, then add to the bean and vegetable mixture and let continue cooking.
Step Five: Prepare Rice
Prepare the rice by bringing water and rice to a boil. Once boiling, remove from heat, cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
Step Six: Serve and Enjoy!
Now all that is left to do is serve the beans over the steamed white rice, garnish with a pinch of parsley and enjoy!
And that’s it! Easy as can be!
MORE EASY DINNER RECIPES
Looking for more simple yet delicious dinner recipes? Look no further! I think you will really like these other tasty recipes!
- Cajun Seafood Boil Foil Packets Recipe
- Rosemary Sage Pork Chops Recipe
- Quick and Easy Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
SHOW ME WHAT YOU’VE GOT!
Did you make this tasty red beans and rice recipe? If so, I’d love to see how it turned out!
Nothing makes me happier than seeing your take on my recipes. So please be sure to tag me on Instagram @bullocksbuzz or using #bullocksbuzz!
And finally, if you get a chance, please comment and leave me a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating on the printable recipe card below!
- 2 cans dark red kidney beans
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 pound Andouille sausage, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup oilve oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning (or more if you like it HOT)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 - 2 large bay leaves
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the garlic, onion, green pepper, and celery in the olive oil for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Next, stir the beans in to the cooked vegetables. Add the Cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper, thyme, sage, parsley, salt and bay leaves. Mix well, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, cook the sliced sausage in a smaller pan for 3 to 5 minutes, then add to the bean and vegetable mixture. Continue to simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the rice by bringing 2 cups of water and 2 cups of rice to a boil. Once boiling, remove from heat, cover and let sit for 5 minutes or until rice is done.
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 725Total Fat: 47gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 30gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 1305mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 8gSugar: 4gProtein: 25g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.
Do you have a favorite recipe you love?