Seasoned ground beef and mixed vegetables are sauteed in a rich gravy, layered in a dish with creamy mashed potatoes, then topped with a layer of cheddar cheese before being baked to perfection in this easy Shepherd’s Pie recipe. It’s the ultimate comfort food!
One of my family’s favorite comfort food recipes is Shepherd’s Pie (aka Cottage Pie). Over the years I’ve played around with the recipe until I came up with what my family tells me is the best shepherd’s pie recipe they’ve had.
In this quick and easy dinner recipe, ground beef and vegetables are sauteed in a rich gravy, topped with fluffy mashed potatoes and a layer of cheddar cheese, then baked to perfection.
I hope your family likes it as much as mine!
Shepherd’s Pie vs Cottage Pie
Shepherd’s Pie is a dish that originated in Ireland and the U.K. Over time, it became very popular around the world.
True Shepherd’s Pie recipes call for ground lamb instead of beef. And some versions use onion instead of mixed veggies.
When made with ground beef, some began calling it Cottage Pie instead of shepherd’s. I’ve always called this particular version of the recipe shepherd’s pie.
Whatever you choose to call it, this tasty recipe is one of the most delicious, easy, and filling comfort food recipes around!
How to Make Shepherd’s Pie
Made with tender beef, lots of veggies, creamy mashed potatoes, and topped with a layer of cheddar cheese, this recipe is truly one of the best I’ve ever made!
You’ll find the complete list of ingredients and instructions in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services I think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, I may make a small commission at no additional cost to you. P.S. I only recommend products that I use and love.
Kitchen Tools You May Need
- glass baking dish (I used a 2 quart)
- large skillet
- small saucepan
- mixing spoon
- cutting board
- whisk (for making the mashed potatoes light and fluffy)
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
Shepherd’s Pie Ingredients
This recipe is a prime example of how just a few common ingredients can be transformed into a delicious meal! In fact, I bet you have most of the ingredients in your kitchen right now.
All you need to make it is:
- ground beef
- instant mashed potatoes
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- mixed vegetables
- all-purpose flour
- Worcestershire sauce
- beef broth
- salt and pepper
Shepherd’s Pie Recipe Instructions
Another reason why I love this recipe is because it calls for instant mashed potatoes and frozen mixed vegetables. That means it comes together in very little time. In thirty minutes or less you can have a meal fit for a king!
When you do have some extra time though, I highly recommend you try making it with homemade mashed potatoes and fresh vegetables. It’s even better!
Getting back to this easy dinner recipe...
Step One: Sauté Onions
- While the oven preheats, add oil to a pan and sauté the onions over medium-high heat.
- Remove onions to a plate and set aside.
Step Two: Brown the Beef
- Add the beef to the pan and brown it until no pink remains.
- Drain the excess fat from the pan, the return to the heat.
Step Three: Thicken
- Slowly stir in the flour, and allow to cook for one minute.
Step Four: Sauce
- Add the beef broth, followed by the ketchup, stirring well.
Step Five: Add Vegetables and Seasonings
- Return the onions back to the pan along with the mixed veggies.
- Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
Step Six: Simmer
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
Step Seven: Prep Potatoes
While the beef and veggie mixture simmers, go ahead and prepare the mashed potatoes.
Step Eight: Transfer
- Next, evenly spread the meat and veggie mixture in the baking dish.
Step Nine: Layer
- Spread the mashed potatoes on top.
Step Nine: Cheese
- Cover with a layer of shredded cheese.
Step Ten: Bake
- Toos it in the preheated oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
And that’s it! Easy-peasy Shepherd’s Pie is ready to enjoy! Doesn’t it look SO delicious?!
Pro Tip: once the Shepherd’s Pie is on the plate, stir it up until the potatoes, meat, and veggies are all mixed together…mmmmm…so good!
How Do I Thicken Shepherd’s Pie?
Shepherd’s Pie is notorious for falling apart easily once you cut into it. However, there’s an easy way to thicken it.
Simply mix one heaping tablespoon of cornstarch with two tablespoons of cold water. Stir this mixture into the ground beef and vegetable mixture. It will slowly thicken the sauce as you stir.
You may need to add a little more cornstarch depending on the amount of liquid in your pan.
LIKE IT? LOVE IT? SHARE IT!
Did you make this quick and easy Shepherd’s Pie recipe? If so, I’d love to know how it turned out!
Nothing makes me happier than seeing your take on my recipes. So please be sure to tag me on Instagram @bullocksbuzz or using #bullocksbuzz and share a photo of your tasty creations!
Also, be sure to Pin it to Save it, and then share with your friends and family by clicking the share buttons above the post title!
And finally, if you get a chance, please comment and leave me a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating on the printable recipe card below!
More Easy Dinner Recipes
If you like this simple Shepherd’s Pie recipe, then I think you will love these other quick and easy dinner recipes!
- Creamy Chicken Pesto Pasta Recipe
- Cheesy Beef and Noodle Casserole
- Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo with Homemade Alfredo Sauce
Easy Shepherd’s Pie Printable Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 packages instant mashed potatoes
- ¼ - ½ cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- ½ large onion, chopped
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups frozen mixed veggies, thawed
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ½ tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- ¾ cup beef broth
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Prepare Oven: Preheat the oven to 375°. Place a rack in the middle.
- Saute onion: Over medium-high heat, saute the onions in the oil until tender and beginning to take on a little brown color. Remove the onions to a plate and hold until later.
- Brown Beef: Add the ground beef to the pan and cook until no pink color remains. Drain the excess fat.
- Thicken: Stir in the flour, cook for 1 minute.
- Season: Add in the beef broth and ketchup, mix well.
- Simmer: Add the onions back to the pan along with the mixed veggies, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Make Potatoes: Prepare the mashed potatoes following instructions on the packet.
- Layer: Spread the ground beef and vegetable mixture in an even layer on the bottom of a 2 quart casserole dish. Top with the mashed potatoes and sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Bake: Place dish in the preheated oven for 15 - 20 minutes, or until the cheese is completely melted.
If the sauce is still too thin, combine 1 heaping tbsp of corn starch with 2 tbsp cold water. Stir in this mixture to the ground beef and vegetable mixture. Stir well.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 569Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 119mgSodium: 851mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 7gSugar: 7gProtein: 38g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.