The cold, dark nights of late Fall and Winter always leave me craving comfort food. One of my family’s favorite comfort food recipes are mashed potatoes – especially when they are part of my Shepherd’s Pie! This Shepherd’s Pie recipe is made using Idahoan potatoes and sauteed ground beef. It’s quick, easy and the ultimate comfort food!
What Is Shepherd’s Pie?
Shepherd’s Pie is a traditional Irish dish that is commonly made with lamb. Here in the United States, we tend to make it using ground beef. Because of this, I’ve sometimes heard this dish called Cottage Pie. Whatever you choose to call it, it is definitely one of the most delicious, easy and filling comfort food meals around!
Shepherd’s Pie with Beef Recipe
Ingredients to Make Shepherd’s Pie
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 packages mashed potatoes, I prefer to use Idahoan Mashed Potatoes
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 3/4 cups beef broth
- salt and pepper, to taste
Instructions to Make Shepherd’s Pie
1. Pre-heat the oven to 375° F.
2. Add a small amount of oil to a large saute pan. Then, over medium-high heat, saute the onions until tender and beginning to take on a little brown color. Remove the onions to a plate and hold until later.
3. Next, add the ground beef to the pan and cook until no pink color remains. Drain off the excess fat.
4. Add in the flour, and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
5. Next, add the beef broth and ketchup to the mixture, and stir well.
6. Now, add the onions back to the pan along with the mixed veggies, the Worcestershire sauce, and the salt and pepper. Mix well.
7. Bring the ingredients to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
8. In the meantime, prepare the mashed potatoes following instructions on the packet.
9. Spread the ground beef and vegetable mixture in an even layer on the bottom of a 2 quart casserole dish.
10. Top with the mashed potatoes and sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese.
11. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 – 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
12. Let cool, then serve and enjoy!
Tip: once the food is on the plate, stir it up until the potatoes, meat and veggies are all mixed together…mmmmm…good!
Handy Shepherd’s Pie Printable Recipe
Shepherd's Pie with Beef
- 1 lb.ground beef
- 2 packages Idahoan mashed potatoes
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 cups frozen mixed veggies thawed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 375.
- Over medium high heat, saute the onions in the oil until tender and beginning to take on a little brown color. Remove the onions to a plate and hold until later.
- Add the ground beef to the pan and cook until no pink color remains. Drain the excess fat.
- Stir in the flour, cook for 1 minute.
- Add in the beef broth and ketchup, mix well.
- Add the onions back to the pan along with the mixed veggies, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Prepare the mashed potatoes following instructions on the packet.
- Spread the ground beef and vegetable mixture in an even layer on the bottom of a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Top with the mashed potatoes and sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 - 20 minutes, or until cheese is completely melted.