Ground beef, fresh vegetables, and a few simple seasonings come together to make the best chili you’ve ever tried in this Award-Winning New England Style Chili recipe!
Real Kitchen-Real Cooking
Now that school is back in session, my days and nights have become a lot busier. So when it comes time to cook dinner, I try to look for meals that are quick and easy, yet still filling and homemade like these Southern Fried Pork Chops and this Chicken Fettuccini.
This New England Style chili recipe was given to me by my first stepfather before he passed. His recipe won several blue ribbon awards in different Connecticut chili cook-offs and has become a favorite of my family’s. I hope your family will enjoy it as well!
On top of being delicious, the best thing about this recipe is that after five to ten minutes of prep work, you can simply toss all of the ingredients in a big pot – or in a slow cooker – and continue on with your day. Enjoy!
How to Make New England Chili
This recipe makes enough for a family of four to have seconds! To make less, simply cut the recipe in half. As is, this recipe is mild. To make it spicier, increase the chili powder and cayenne pepper.
What You Need
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services I think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, Bullock’s Buzz will make a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products that I use and love.
Kitchen Tools Needed
New England Chili Ingredients
This easy chili recipe uses ground beef, fresh veggies, and a few common spices to create a delicious chili the whole family will love. You’ll find the full ingredients and instructions in the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
Homemade Chili Instructions
Begin by dicing a garden-fresh green pepper and a Vidalia onion into small pieces.
You will then saute the meat, onion and green pepper in a saucepan. Tip: I like to add a little dash of Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning to the meat and veggies while they brown.
Next, you will add the stewed tomatoes and kidney beans to a large pot or slow cooker. Mix well.
Once the meat has browned, you’ll toss it in with the other ingredients, add the spices, and stir, stir and stir some more until all ingredients are completely combined.
If cooking on the stovetop, you will want to bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat and allow to simmer for AT LEAST 1 to 2 hours. Tip: I’ve been known to let mine go all day! If using a slow cooker (aff. link), set it to Low, and cook for 6 to 8 hours, stirring occasionally.
Once finished, serve with cheese, sour cream, and/or crackers, and enjoy! And to make things even easier, the handy-dandy printable version of this delectable chili recipe is below!
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 2 14.5 oz cans, stewed tomatoes
- 2 16 oz. cans, light red kidney beans
- 1 6 oz. can, tomato paste
- 1 green pepper, medium sized
- 1 Vidalia onion, medium-sized
- 2 bay leaves
- 2-4 tbsp chili powder
- 3 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- dash of Tony Cachere's Cajun Seasoning, optional
- Dice the green pepper and onion into small pieces.
- In a large saucepan, saute the green pepper, onion, and ground beef until the beef is browned.
- Meanwhile, add the stewed tomatoes, tomato paste, kidney beans and seasonings to a large pot or slow cooker. Mix well.
- Once the meat has browned, drain, then add the meat and veggie mixture to the other ingredients. Stir, stir and stir some more until all ingredients are completely combined.
- If cooking on the stovetop: bring to a boil, reduce heat, and allow to gently simmer for at least 1 - 2 hours. The longer it cooks, the better it tastes.
- If using a slow cooker: set it to low, and cook for 6 to 8 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Once finished, serve with cheese, sour cream, and/or crackers, and enjoy!
As is, this recipe makes a mild chili. To add some fire, simply increase the amount of chili powder and cayenne pepper.
Serving Size:1 bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 701Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 135mgSodium: 1824mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 16gSugar: 11gProtein: 58g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.