Delicious Rice Krispies Treats are cut into Shamrocks then decorated with melted chocolate and gold sprinkle dust in this fun, festive, easy-to-make Shamrock Rice Krispies Treats recipe!
St. Patrick’s Day is just around the clover (hah hah) which means Spring isn’t far behind! And these Shamrock Rice Krispie Treats are the perfect way to celebrate both!
Shamrock Rice Krispie Treats are a fun and tasty spin on the beloved classic sweet. They are the best no-bake dessert for St. Patrick’s Day and spring.
And just like my St. Patrick’s Day Cookies from cake mix, Shamrock Rice Krispie Treats are a cinch to make.
RICE KRISPIES TREATS FOR ST. PATRICK’S DAY
You are going to love making these Rice Krispie Shamrock Treats! I mean who wouldn’t be excited to make these fun treats?!
With their shamrock shape, green chocolate icing and gold sprinkles, they are full of St. Patrick’s Day pizazz.
And they’d look right at home on this St. Patrick’s Day Dessert Charcuterie Board!
HOW TO MAKE SHAMROCK RICE KRISPIES TREATS
These Rice Krispies Treat Shamrocks are so much fun to make, and even more fun to eat! Plus, making them is so easy that even the kids can help out.
Keep reading to see how to make these delicious and festive St Patrick’s Day Shamrock Rice Krispies Treats.
You will find the full ingredients and directions in the free printable recipe card at the end of this post.
HELPFUL KITCHEN TOOLS YOU MAY NEED
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services I think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, I may make a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend items I use and love.
- 3.2” shamrock cookie cutter
- large saucepan
- 9×13 inch pan
- small bowl
- microwave, double boiler, or candy melting pot
- measuring cups
- parchment paper
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE SHAMROCK RICE KRISPIES TREATS
These Shamrock Krispies Treats are soft, chewy, and so yummy! And you will love the fact that you only need a few ingredients to make them.
Shamrock Rice Krispie Treat ingredients include the following:
INSTRUCTIONS TO MAKE ST PATRICK’S DAY RICE KRISPIES TREATS
You will love how simple these rice krispies treats are to make!
Step One: Melt Butter and Marshmallows
- Melt the butter in a large pot over low heat.
- Then slowly add in the marshmallows, stirring continuously until they are completely melted.
Step Two: Add Cereal
- Next, remove the mixture from heat.
- Gradually add in the Rice Krispies continuously stirring to ensure it gets completely coated.
Step Three: Spread Mixture in a Pan
- Spray a 9″ x 13″ baking pan with cooking spray for easier removal.
- Next, add the marshmallow-cereal mixture to the pan and spread it out evenly.
Pro Tip: add cooking spray to the utensil that you’re using to spread the mixture in order to help prevent it from sticking.
Step Four: Cut Out Shamrocks (Two Ways)
There are two ways you can make shamrock-shaped Rice Krispies treats. I tired both, and I like the molding method better, although it is a bit stickier, lol. Molding them gives you smoother and more defined edges.
However, both ways will work fine. I share each method below.
To Mold Them
- Wait until the mixture has cooled just enough to where you can handle it without getting burned. Don’t wait until it is too cool, though. The warmer it is the easier it will be to mold it.
- Make sure you spray the cookie cutter to prevent sticking, and then start filling the cookie cutter with the mixture to form the shamrocks.
To Cut Them
- After the mixture has been spread in the pan, place it in the refrigerator for 1 hour to allow the Rice Krispies treats to set. This will make it easier to cut them with a cookie cutter.
- Once set, remove the Rice Krispies from the pan and then set them on a table or counter on a piece of parchment paper.
- Now use the cookie cutter to cut the shamrocks out.
Step Five: Melt Chocolate
- Next, add the green candy melts to a microwave safe bowl, and heat in 30 second intervals, stirring between each heat session, until the chocolate is fully melted. You could also use a doubler boiler or candy melting pot.
Step Six: Decorate
- Working with one treat at a time, use a piping bag, zip lock baggie, or a spoon to drizzle melted candy in zigzags across the shamrock Rice Krispies treat.
- Then, before the chocolate sets, sprinkle some gold dust over the melted chocolate.
- Repeat until all shamrocks are decorated.
And there you have it! Super soft and extra fun St. Patrick’s Day Shamrock Rice Krispies Treats that are so yummy!
FAQ for Rice Krispies Treats
Hard Rice Krispies treats can be caused by two things: cooking over high heat or mashing the cereal mixture too hard in the pan.
The most common reason is melting the butter and marshmallows over high heat. Always cook the marshmallow mixture over low heat. It’ll take a few more minutes of your time, but it will be well worth it!
Secondly, when adding the mixture to the pan, don’t press the mixture down very hard. Instead, press just hard enough to get the cereal mixture spread around the pan.
These fun St. Patrick’s Day treats can be stored in an air-tight container at room temperature. They should last up to a week before they start to get too stale.
You can also freeze them for up to 3 months.
Yes, you can make these treats in advance. However, I wouldn’t make them more than a day or two in advance, and then I’d only store in the refrigerator.
This is most often caused by either using too much butter or too many marshmallows.
Avoid this by following the original recipe instructions of 3 tbsps. of butter and 1 ten-ounce package of marshmallows.
Also, they are more likely to fall apart when they are warm.
OTHER ST. PATRICK’S DAY RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE
If you’re looking for more ideas on how to create dessert recipes that will put a smile on everyone’s face, this St. Patty’s Day, check these out!
LIKE IT? LOVE IT? PLS SHARE THIS ST. PATRICK’S DAY SHAMROCK RICE KRISPIE TREATS RECIPE!
Did you make this easy Shamrock Rice Krispie Treats recipe? If so, I’d love to see how it turned out! I absolutely adore seeing your take on my recipes.
So please be sure to tag me on Instagram @bullocksbuzz or using #bullocksbuzz and share a photo of your tasty creations!
Don’t forget to save it either by clicking on that little heart over there to your right or by pinning it on Pinterest. And then share with your friends and family by clicking the share buttons above the post title, too!
And, if you really liked this Shamrock Rice Krispies Treat recipe, comment and leave me a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating on the printable recipe card below!
SHAMROCK RICE KRISPIES TREATS PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD
Here is the free printable recipe card so you can easily keep up with this St Patrick’s Day dessert idea!
- 3 tbsp butter
- 10 oz package mini marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 4 oz green candy melts
- Gold sanding sugar
- Melt butter in a large pot over low heat.
- Slowly pour in marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
- Remove mixture from heat and stir in Rice Krispies cereal.
- Pour mixture into a 9x13 inch pan lined with parchment paper and use a buttered/greased spatula to spread it out.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour to help set them for easier cutting.
- Remove the parchment paper with the sheet of Rice Krispies, then set on a table or counter.
- Use the cookie cutter to cut shamrocks out. (see NOTES below for another method)
- Add the candy melts to a microwave safe bowl, then heat in 30 second intervals, stirring between each heating session, until the candy is fully melted.
- Working with one shamrock at a time, use a piping bag, Ziplock baggie, or a spoon to drizzle melted candy across the Shamrock Rice Krispies treats.
- Immediately sprinkle gold sanding sugar over the candy drizzle before it sets.
Another way to make shamrock shapes is to skip refrigerating the treats. Instead, once they are cool enough to handle without burning yourself, mold a handful of the mixture inside the cookie cutter, gently pressing to completely fill the cookie cutter. It helps if you add some cooking spray to the cookie cutter before beginning to help prevent sticking.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 192Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 118mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 0gSugar: 21gProtein: 1g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.