These Unicorn Petit Fours are what sweet dreams are made of—only better. These pretty pastel petit fours are as adorable as they are yummy, and they’re very easy to make!
Do you believe in magic? After one (or two) of these adorable petit fours, I’m willing to bet you will!
Magical, colorful and tons of fun, you simply cannot go wrong with these adorable unicorn desserts!
WHAT ARE PETIT FOURS?
A petit four (plural: petits fours) is nothing more than a small bite-sized confectionery or savory appetizer. In this case, they are delicious miniature cakes that are coated with frosting and decorated to look like unicorns.
These delicate little unicorn cakes are perfect for birthday parties, celebrations, to brighten someone’s day, or for no reason at all.
EASY UNICORN PETIT FOURS
In this adorable Unicorn Petit Fours recipe, classic French Vanilla cake mix is transformed into miniature, multi-colored cakes that are covered with sweet vanilla icing, decorated with pink, purple and blue ‘manes’ and then crowned with a golden horn.
The magical combination of rainbow-colored French vanilla cake and creamy vanilla icing makes these Unicorn Petit Fours downright delicious!
And while you can always use your favorite made-from-scratch vanilla cake recipe and vanilla icing recipe, using store-bought cake mix and icing saves a lot of time.
So, are you ready to make some magic of your own?
HOW TO MAKE A MULTI-COLORED CAKE
First things first. Making multi-colored cake. Learning how to make multi-colored cake may seem hard, but I promise you it isn’t. You simply divide the batter into individual bowls and then use food coloring to dye each bowl whatever color you’d prefer.
From there you just add the colored batters in to the mold and bake as usual.
HOW TO MAKE UNICORN PETIT FOURS
Speaking of easy, I do love easy recipes and I promise you this unicorn-themed dessert is definitely easy to make. Yes, there are a few different steps, but if you can make a cake using a box mix, then you will have no problem making these adorable unicorn desserts!
You will find the full ingredients and directions in the free printable recipe card at the end of this post.
HELPFUL KITCHEN TOOLS YOU MAY NEED
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services I think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, I may make a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend items I use and love.
- hand mixer or countertop mixer with bowl
- petit four baking pan or a 13×9-inch baking pan, greased
- 1 large mixing bowl (unless using countertop mixer with bowl)
- 4 larger bowls – to divide and color batter
- 4 smaller bowls – to divide and color frosting
- 1 medium, microwave-safe bowl
- Cooling racks
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- 2 disposable piping bags
- 2 small star icing tips
- 2 number 2 icing tips
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE UNICORN PETIT FOURS
These Unicorn Petit Fours are made with your standard French Vanilla cake mix made extra-fabulous with a little bit of food coloring and imagination.
- French Vanilla cake mix – while you can always use your favorite homemade cake recipe but using a box mix will save you a ton of time.
- eggs – these should be at room temperature, so leave them out for at least 30 minutes before starting.
- canola oil – this will give the recipe a moist texture and adds a light and airy consistency overall.
- whole milk – also adds moisture and additional flavor; be sure to use whole milk only
- vanilla frosting – again, you can use your favorite homemade vanilla frosting or use store bought to save time.
- food coloring GEL – be sure to use gel form, not the liquid. Gel tends to give better color, blends better, and requires a lot less work. You will need Pink, Sky Blue, Black, and Purple.
- unicorn horn sprinkles – one horn per unicorn
INSTRUCTIONS TO MAKE UNICORN PETIT FOURS
Making these incredibly cute mini cakes is much easier than you’d think!
For The Cakes
Step One: Prep
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and use baking spray to grease the petit four baking pan or the 9 x 13 pan.
Step Two: Make Batter
- Add the eggs, oil, and milk into a large bowl with the cake mix and stir until smooth.
- Separate the batter into four bowls.
Step Three: Color Batter
- Next, add several drops of the pink gel food coloring to the first bowl, then stir to combine until completely mixed in.
- Repeat with the second bowl and the sky-blue gel food coloring.
- Then repeat with the third bowl using the purple gel food coloring.
- Lastly, leave the fourth bowl uncolored.
Step Four: Fill Pan
- Add one teaspoon each of pink, blue, purple, and uncolored batters into each individual pan cavity. This is how you make multi-colored cakes.
Step Five: Bake
- Place the pan into the oven to bake for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Step Six: Cool
- Once baked, remove pan from oven and transfer petit fours to a wire rack to cool thoroughly. If you are using a 9 x 13 pan, transfer the whole cake. Then, once it is completely cooled, slice into small squares.
For The Frosting
Step One: Melt and Ice
- Scoop one container of the frosting into a medium bowl and melt for 15-20 seconds in the microwave or until it’s liquidly.
- Pour the heated frosting on top of the cakes to coat.
- Let it sit to firm up.
Step Two: Color the Frostings
- Get 4 separate bowls and add 1/4 cup of the 2nd container of frosting into each bowl.
- Place a few drops blue food coloring into the first bowl and stir to combine.
- In the next bowl, add a few drops of the purple food coloring, again stirring to combine.
- Next, add a few drops of pink food coloring to the third bowl of frosting. Stir to combine.
- In the fourth bowl, add a few drops of black food coloring, and stir to combine.
Step Three: Add Colored Frostings to Bags
- *Scoop the pink and blue frostings into the piping bags fitted with a star tip.
- Place the purple and black frostings into the piping bags with a #2 round tip.
*You could also scoop the pink and blue frosting into one bag only. Just make sure the pink frosting is in one side of the bag and the blue in the other. You want the colors side by side, not on top of one another.
Putting It All Together
Step One: Decorating Petit Fours with Frosting
- Use the pink and blue frosting to make ‘hair’ for the unicorn.
- Then, use the purple icing to make dots on the ‘hair’.
- Lastly, use the black frosting to add the eyes on the side of each petit four.
Step Two: Add the Horn
- Carefully place a horn on the top middle of the unicorn’s ‘head’
Step Three: Let Set
- Allow the frosting to sit for 30 minutes minimum in order to firm up.
And that’s it! You’re done! Aren’t they great?!
HOW TO STORE UNICORN PETIT FOURS
If you have any leftovers, these Unicorn Petit Fours can be stored in an airtight container. They will keep at room temperature for two days or in the refrigerator for up to a week.
If you want to keep them longer, they can also be frozen for up to three months.
MORE MAGICAL RECIPES
Want more recipes like this fun Unicorn recipe? I think you will really love these:
- Unicorn Cheesecake Bars
- Cookies and Cream Springtime Bark Candy Recipe
- Springtime Hot Chocolate Bombs Recipe
LIKE IT? LOVE IT? PLS SHARE THIS UNICORN PETIT FOURS RECIPE!
Did you make this easy Unicorn Petit Fours recipe? If so, I’d love to see how it turned out! Nothing makes me happier than seeing your take on my recipes.
So please be sure to tag me on Instagram @bullocksbuzz or using #bullocksbuzz and share a photo of your tasty creations!
Be sure to save it either by clicking on that little heart there to your right of this page or by pinning it on Pinterest. And then share with your friends and family by clicking the share buttons above the post title, too!
And finally, if you really liked this petit four recipe, comment and leave me a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating on the printable recipe card below!
UNICORN PETIT FOURS PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD
Unicorn Petit Fours
Bright, colorful and full of delicious magic, these Unicorn Petit Fours are perfect for birthday parties, celebrations, to brighten someone's day, or for no reason at all!
- 1 box french vanilla cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 containers of vanilla frosting
- Pink, Sky Blue, Black and Purple gel food coloring
- 1 package of unicorn horn sprinkles
For The Petit Fours
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a petit four baking pan with baking spray.
- Using a large bowl, whisk eggs, oil and milk with the cake mix until completely combined and smooth.
- Divide the batter into four bowls.
- Add several drops of pink gel food coloring into one of the bowls, stirring until completely combined.
- In a second bowl, add several drops of sky-blue food coloring, stirring until it is well mixed.
- Repeat with the next bowl using the purple gel food coloring, again stirring until completely combined.
- Leave the 4th bowl uncolored.
- Spoon 1 tsp of each color batter into each of the petit four cavities (make sure each cavity gets 1 tsp of each color.)
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean
- Remove from the pan and place onto a wire rack to allow the petit fours to cool completely.
For The Icing
- Using one of the vanilla frosting containers, scoop the frosting into a medium microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 15 - 20 seconds or until the frosting is liquid-like.
- Carefully pour the frosting over the petit fours to completely coat the cakes.
- Allow the frosting to firm up.
- Meanwhile, using 4 smaller bowls, spoon about 1⁄4 C of the second frosting container into each bowl.
- Add in a few drops of pink gel coloring in one bowl and mix until well combined.
- In the second bowl, add a few drops of sky-blue coloring, stir to combine.
- In another bowl, add a few drops of the purple, stir to combine.
- In the fourth bowl add a few drops of black coloring, stir to combine.
Putting It All Together
- Scoop the pink and blue frostings into the piping bags fitted with the star tips. OR you can put them both into the same bag. If you do it this way, be sure to place the pink in one 'side' of the bag, and the blue on the other. 'side'. You want the colors side by side, not on top of one another.
- Scoop the purple frosting into the piping bag fitting with the number 2 tip.
- Scoop the black another bag fitted with another number 2 tip or a number 3.
- Using the pink and blue frosting, pipe “hair” onto the unicorn.
- Using the purple frosting, pipe little dots into the “hair”.
- Using the black frosting, pipe details of the eyes on the front side of each of the petit fours.
- Carefully place a unicorn horn sprinkle onto the top center of each of the petit fours.
- Allow the frosting to firm up for 30 minutes before enjoying!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 607Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 490mgCarbohydrates: 91gFiber: 1gSugar: 70gProtein: 4g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.