This colorful and fun springtime Hot Chocolate Bombs recipe is made with white chocolate, hot chocolate mix, and rainbow-colored mini marshmallows. They are a deliciously indulgent way to celebrate all things spring while enjoying a delicious mug of hot cocoa!
I’m sitting here at my desk writing this post with the windows wide open, enjoying the comfortably cool air, fresh breeze, and the sound of birds singing. It finally feels like Spring! Like you, I am so over winter.
To celebrate this season of new, I’ve got a new recipe for y’all to try. One that I promised a few days ago when writing my Caramel Mocha Coffee Bomb recipe. Speaking of which, did you try those yet? If not, you are definitely missing out! They really are that delicious!
And so is this Springtime Hot Chocolate Bomb recipe!
Nothing says spring more than flowers and pastel colors. And these bright and cheerful springtime hot chocolate bombs with marshmallows are the perfect way to celebrate all things spring while enjoying a delicious mug of hot cocoa!
These Hot Chocolate Bombs for Spring are easy to make and fun to drink for both kids and adults alike. They’re a great way to warm up on a cold and gray winter day, and if Spring hasn’t yet sprung where you live, to remind you that the happy days of spring aren’t far away!
EASY SPRINGTIME HOT CHOCOLATE TREAT
This spring-themed hot chocolate bomb recipe truly is the bomb! So yummy to enjoy and such an adorable end product. It goes perfectly with these delicious spring-themed cookies or this delectable springtime Cookies and Cream bark candy!
They’re also absolutely perfect for Easter, Spring, rainbow parties, unicorn parties, and other bright and cheerful events!
Plus, they’re so much fun to watch melt away into a mug of chocolate happiness!
Here’s how to make them.
HOW TO MAKE SPRINGTIME HOT CHOCOLATE BOMBS
You can scroll down to find the complete recipe for these hot cocoa bombs in an easy-to-read recipe card that you can print for free! But first, here are some step-by-step photos and tips that explain the process in better detail.
SUPPLIES NEEDED TO MAKE SPRING HOT CHOCOLATE BOMBS
For this easy Springtime hot chocolate bomb recipe, you will only need a few common tools and ingredients. In fact, the only “special” thing you need is a round silicone mold like the one I linked to below.
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services I think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, Bullock’s Buzz may make a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend items that I use and love.
- Round Silicone Molds – silicone molds work much better than acrylic!
- Microwave-Safe Bowls
- Food Safe paintbrush, spoon, or small spatula
- Icing piping bags
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE SPRINGTIME HOT CHOCOLATE BOMBS
These delectable Hot Chocolate Bombs for Spring are made with white chocolate chips, rainbow marshmallows, and instant hot chocolate mix. To step it up a notch, try using a homemade hot chocolate mix recipe instead!
To make these hot cocoa bombs you will need:
- white chocolate chips or melting wafers – I highly recommend Ghirardelli Chocolate Melting Wafers.
- instant hot cocoa mix – can be found in either the baking aisle or the coffee aisle.
- rainbow marshmallows – I use Jet Puffed
- Spring Nonpareils Mix Sprinkles by Wilton
- Mini Candy Flowers
- Pink Candy Melts
- Yellow Candy Melts
- hot milk – to enjoy your hot chocolate bombs once they are finished.
RECIPE INSTRUCTIONS FOR HOT CHOCOLATE BOMBS WITH MARSHMALLOWS
These tasty treats are incredibly easy-to-make! Plus, they take just minutes to prep. In fact, the longest part of the process is waiting for the chocolate to set.
STEP ONE: MELT
- Place the white chocolate chips or wafers in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval, until the chocolate is completely melted.
STEP TWO: FILL
- Put a spoonful of melted chocolate inside one well/cup on the silicone mold.
- Using the back of the spoon or a food-safe paintbrush, spread the chocolate all the way up the sides of the mold. Make sure the chocolate is evenly coating the entire well.
- Repeat this process until all the molds are coated.
- Set the remaining chocolate aside for sealing and decorating the hot chocolate bombs.
STEP THREE: SET
- Allow the chocolate in the molds to set completely. This usually takes about 2 to 3 hours, although you can speed up the process by placing the chocolate-filled molds in the freezer for 10 minutes, or in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Once the chocolate has thoroughly set, check for any thin spots. If you see any spots, add a second layer of chocolate using a small spatula, spoon, or food-safe paintbrush, and allow the chocolate to set once again.
STEP FOUR: ASSEMBLE
- Once the chocolate has hardened, carefully remove each half-sphere from its mold.
- Next, add a small amount of instant hot cocoa mix to half the pieces and then top the hot cocoa mix with marshmallows.
STEP FIVE: SEAL
- Reheat the chocolate in 15-second intervals until it’s completely melted.
- To seal the Spring hot chocolate bombs, pick up an empty half-sphere and lightly dip the edges into the melted chocolate.
- Then carefully place it on top of a filled half-sphere and lightly press it into place to form a complete ball.
- Use your finger to smooth the melted chocolate around the seam.
- Repeat these steps until all of the hot chocolate bombs are sealed.
You can also seal the bombs by heating a skillet over low heat or nuking a glass plate in the microwave, then removing it from the heat. Take one of the empty shell halves and place it open-side-down on the warm surface just until the edges begin to soften and melt.
Then quickly and carefully place it on top of a filled half-sphere, pressing gently to seal. And then use your finger to smooth the seam.
STEP FIVE: DECORATE
- Once the chocolate spheres are sealed and completely set, add some pink melted chocolate to a piping bag or Ziploc with the corner snipped off to decorate.
- Lightly drizzle the chocolate over the top of the bombs and then repeat with the yellow melted chocolate.
- Quickly add a few candy flowers using the drizzled chocolate as glue.
- Finish by sprinkling a small number of non-parallels over the tops.
- Allow the chocolate decorations to set before using, around 1 hour.
MAKING HOT CHOCOLATE FROM HOT COCOA BOMBS
Now it’s time for the most delicious part – testing your springtime hot chocolate bombs!
- First, you’ll place one bomb in the bottom of a mug.
- Then, pour one cup of hot milk over the top of the bomb to melt the chocolate.
- Once the hot chocolate bomb has “exploded” aka completely melted, stir to combine.
- Allow to cool a tad, then enjoy!
CUTE IDEAS FOR HOT CHOCOLATE BOMBS
These tasty treats can be used for so many things! They are perfect for a birthday party, baby shower, or even a tea/hot cocoa party. They can be wrapped in cellophane and given as a treat or placed inside a cute DIY mug to give as a gift.
Or, of course, you can keep them to enjoy for yourself!
PRINTABLE SPRINGTIME HOT CHOCOLATE BOMBS RECIPE
This printable springtime Hot Chocolate Bombs recipe will make 6 bombs. To make more, simply double the recipe. To make less, cut it in half.
- 1 12 ounce White Chocolate Chips, Ghirardelli
- 6 tbsp Intant Cocoa mix
- 1 cup Rainbow Marshmallows, Mini
- ¼ cup Spring Mix Sprinkles
- ¼ cup Mini Candy Flowers
- ¼ cup Candy Melts, Yellow
- ¼ cup Candy Melts, Pink
Hot Chocolate Bombs
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the white chocolate chips in 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval, until the chocolate chips are fully melted.
- Add a spoonful of melted chocolate inside one well on the silicone mold, then use the back of the spoon or a food-safe paintbrush to evenly spread the chocolate all the way up the sides of the mold. Continue this process until all of the molds are coated. Set the remaining chocolate aside for sealing and decorating the bombs.
- Allow the chocolate to set completely. Usually takes around 2-3 hours. To speed up the process, place the mold either in the refrigerator or the freezer.
- Once the chocolate has set, check for any thin spots. If there are some, add more chocolate, then allow to set again.
- When the chocolate is set, carefully remove each of the chocolate pieces from the mold. Add a small amount (about 1 tablespoon) of instant hot cocoa mix to ½ of the pieces followed by a few marshmallows.
- Reheat the remaining chocolate in 15 second intervals until completley melted. Pick up an empty chocolate piece and dip the edges into the melted chocolate. Carefully place it on top of a filled piece and lightly press it into place. Use your finger to smooth melted chocolate around the seam. Continue until all the chocolate bombs are sealed.
- Melt the pink and yellow candy melts following the directions on the bags, and add each color to a piping bag.
- Drizzle each hot chocolate bomb with the pink and yellow candy melts, a pinch of sprinkles, and 3 to 4 miniature candy flowers.
- Allow the chocolate decorations to set completely before using, around 1 hour.
- Place one hot chocolate bomb in the bottom of a mug. Then pour one cup of hot milk over the top of the bomb to melt the chocolate. Once the chocolate is completely melted, stir to combine. Enjoy!
*Caloric information is based on an estimate via verywellfit website.
Serving Size:1 bomb
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 572Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 211mgCarbohydrates: 94gFiber: 1gSugar: 76gProtein: 5g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.
SHOW ME WHAT YOU’VE GOT!
I hope you love this Hot Cocoa Bombs Recipe as much as I do! If you do decide to give it a try, I want to know. Nothing makes me happier than seeing your own take on my recipes!
If you make these Springtime Hot Chocolate Bombs, tag me at @bullocksbuzz (Instagram and Facebook) or @alainabullock (on Twitter) and use #BullocksBuzz so I can see your creation and share it!
And, if you really liked this Hot Chocolate Bombs recipe, please rate and review it on the recipe card.
MORE DRINK RECIPES
Looking for some more tasty springtime treats? Give these a try!