Love it? Pls Share it!
These Vanilla Wafer Turtle Cookies have it all – warm, gooey buttery caramel, rich milk chocolate, salty pecans, and the crunchy sweetness of vanilla wafers. Best of all, these chocolate-covered caramel pecan sandwich cookies are incredibly easy to make!
Store-bought treats are awesome, sure. But there is just something so wonderful about making your own homemade treats. Especially when those homemade treats are made with vanilla wafers.
Nilla Wafers not only taste great on their own, but there all all sorts of fun and delicious recipes you can make with them. For example, there’s this delightful Nilla, PB, Mallow Squares Recipe or this scrumptious No-Bake Patriotic Funfetti Cake Cheese Ball. And of course they work wonderfully in Banana Pudding!
But try them in this Vanilla Wafer Turtle Cookies recipe and you will be WOW-ed! There’s just something truly delicious when rich chocolate, buttery caramel, sweet vanilla wafers, and nutty pecans come together in one little sandwich cookie.
And they’re SO easy to make! Honestly, if you can dip cookies into melted chocolate, then you can make these delectable little treats! Plus, there’s no fancy equipment required.
In fact, the hardest part of making these turtle sandwich cookies is keeping yourself from eating the caramel-coated wafers before you can coat each one with a decadent covering of chocolate and sprinkle them with little bits of pecan!
Vanilla Wafer Turtle Cookies Recipe
This recipe approximately make 20+ cookies
Ingredients Needed to Make Vanilla Wafer Turtle Cookies
- 1 box Nilla Wafers (11 oz)
- 1 bag Rolos Caramel candies (11 oz)
- 1 bag milk chocolate morsels (8 oz)
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or vegetable shortening, to help chocolate consistency
How to Make Vanilla Wafer Turtle Sandwich Cookies
- Begin by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. These Kitzini silicone mats are my favorite. They make baking SO much easier!
- Next, place half of the Nilla Wafers in a single layer on baking sheet. Then unwrap candies and place one on each cookie.
- Bake for about 5 minutes or until the candies are soft, but not runny. Remove from oven and immediately press another vanilla wafer on top of each cookie to create a sandwich.
- Next, melt the chocolate chips using either a Candy Melting Pot or a microwave oven. If using a microwave, place chocolates in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high, stirring every 15 to 20 seconds until melted. Be careful not to overheat as the chocolate can seize. If the chocolate becomes tough, you can try to thin it out by adding 1 tablespoon of coconut oil or vegetable shortening. Do not add water.
- Now cover each sandwich cookie in chocolate, allowing the excess to run back into the bowl. I love using the slotted spoon from this candy dipping tool set by Wilton! It makes it SO much easier, and a lot less messy!
- Place the chocolate-covered cookie on waxed paper, and then sprinkle with the chopped pecans before the chocolate sets.
- Allow chocolate to set completely before serving. To speed the setting process, you can always place the cookies in the refrigerator or freezer.
Now all that’s left is to serve and enjoy these mouth-watering vanilla wafer turtle cookies. Don’t they look amazing?!
Handy Printable Cookie Recipe
To make this sandwich cookie recipe even easier, here’s the handy printable version.
- 1 box Nilla Wafers, 11 ounce
- 1 bag Rolos Caramel Candies, 11 ounce
- 1 bag Chocolate Baking Chips, 8 ounce
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or vegetable oil, to improve chocolate consistency
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Place half of the Nilla Wafers in a single layer on baking sheet. Unwrap caramel candies and place one on each cookie.
- Bake for about 5 minutes or until the candies are soft but not runny. Remove from oven and immediately press another Nilla Wafer on the top of each to create a sandwich.
- Melt the chocolate baking chips in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave on high, stirring every 15 to 20 seconds until melted. Do not overheat as the chocolate will seize.
- Cover each sandwich cookie in chocolate, allowing the excess chocolate to run back into the bowl. Place the cookie on waxed paper.
- While the chocolate is still wet, sprinkle with chopped pecans.
- Allow chocolate to set completely before serving.
- if melted chocolate becomes tough (seizes), slowly stir in 1 tablespoon of coconut oil or vegetable shortening. Do not add water.
- speed up setting time by placing Vanilla Wafer Sandwich Cookies in the refrigerator or freezer.
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 120Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 78mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 1g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Please always double check with your own nutritional apps as well.
*calories per cookie are estimated via Verywell Fit Recipe Calorie and Nutrition Calculator
Looking for more easy sweets and treats recipes?
Check these out!
I hope you enjoy this easy Vanilla Wafer Turtle Cookies recipe as much as I did! I’d love it if you’d share! Use the social sharing buttons below the post title to share with friends and family!