Cannabidiol (CBD) is just one of many naturally occurring chemical compounds that are found in plants belonging to the Cannabis Sativa family. Legal CBD comes from the hemp plant, which is a close cousin of the marijuana plant. The biggest difference though is that CBD is non-psychoactive, meaning it won’t get you high.
The non-psychoactive cannabis extract cannabidiol has many medical benefits. However, THC’s stimulating properties had previously undermined CBD’s potential medical benefits. Understanding how CBD can help relieve stress, reduce pain from muscle aches, and promote calmness without producing psychoactive effects is now changing people’s perceptions of the substance.
Companies like Dutch Natural Healing CBD offer non-psychoactive CBD products in various forms including tinctures, softgels, capsules, patches, and more.
You’ve probably seen companies that sell CBD capsules and softgels and may think that both products are the same, but they aren’t. The primary difference is that CBD pills have a hard outer shell and dry ingredients inside, while softgels have a softer cover and liquid components inside. Knowing the differences between products can help you choose the best one for your needs.
Today I’m sharing a quick rundown of the differences between CBD softgels, capsules, and tablets.
At first glance, CBD softgels resemble capsules. In contrast to the CBD pill’s hard shell, CBD softgels have a softer cover. CBD softgels are easy-to-swallow and tasteless. Additionally, CBD softgels contain liquid rather than powder. Because of this, they can be enriched with plant oils that aid in the absorption of CBD.
CBD softgel is a mixture of gelatin and glycerin, or sorbitol, that makes it soft. Also, the gelatin used may or may not be vegan, depending on the company’s policies. Since CBD is a fat-soluble compound, carrier oils are included in all CBD softgels. However, virtually any plant oil can act as a CBD carrier oil.
CBD softgels are softgel-like CBD extract or isolate pills. Their distinctive features include:
- One-piece enclosed soft pills filled with the CBD extract oil
- Smooth shape, making them easy to swallow
- Sealed so have a longer shelf-life
- Have neither odor nor taste
- More expensive than capsules
The word capsule refers to any small round or cylindrical container. Capsules are two soluble pieces that fit together to hold powder, jelly, or liquid. Oral CBD capsules deliver CBD to the body via the digestive system.
The capsule has a neutral flavor and may or may not be edge-sealed. Unlike cannabis, cannabidiol is not psychoactive and does not cause a “high.” Choosing the best CBD capsules requires more than just comparing brands and prices. CBD capsules, like CBD pills, online are available in different brands and platforms. Ingredients, hemp type, extra extracts, pricing, and company policies all matter when defining the best CBD capsules.
The unique features that distinguish CBD capsules from the tablet and softgels are:
- CBD capsules are two-piece pills filled with CBD oil or powder
- May or may not have a seal
- Shorter shelf life than softgels
- You can feel the taste of the capsule depending on how it’s sealed
- Cheaper compared to softgels
The terms might get a little confusing when differentiating tablets and CBD pills. What are CBD pills, exactly? Some businesses interchange the terms “tablets” and “pills.” CBD in pill form, however, refers to a solid form of the supplement, similar to CBD tablets. The CBD tablet and solid CBD pill are compressed powder and taken orally. Oral consumption of cannabidiol (CBD) tablets considerably eliminates chronic pain with no side effects. Even though many brands produce CBD products, getting CBD pills online is your best option.
CBD tablets are among the easiest ways of taking CBD products. What makes them a fan favorite is their ease of consumption. The CBD tablet features include:
- You can split the tablets into two halves
- Slower absorption than softgels and capsules because of the coating
- Tablet coating makes swallowing easier
- Longer shelf life than softgels and capsules
- Available in a variety of shapes and sizes
The Differences Between CBD Softgels, Capsules, and Tablets
Aside from the differences in composition, there are a few other distinctions between softgels, capsules, and tablet dosage forms. The following are the most significant distinctions:
- Softgels have a smoother shape and outline as compared to regular capsules
- The cost of making capsules is lower
- Most people find softgels to be easier to consume compared to capsules
- Softgels are airtight and last longer than capsules because of their seals
- Softgels are better for retaining vitamins than capsules for oils like CBD
- Consumers prefer softgels to capsules and tablets because they are easier to swallow and can hide the smell or taste of what’s inside.
- Softgels are better for non-water-soluble oils
- Capsules have a two-piece hard dissolvable container containing raw CBD powder
- Softgels have CBD oil inside a one-piece soft gelatin container that dissolves when you put it in water
- CBD pills are solid tablets containing highly crystalline CBD isolate
- Softgels usually have a higher potency than capsules or pills because they contain CBD oil
- There are chewable CBD pills available, but you must swallow capsules and softgels
- Softgels use using broad-spectrum extraction, while CBD capsules use full spectrum extraction
- Softgels and solid pills have a longer shelf life compared to capsules because they are sealed
- CBD capsules and softgels have a faster absorption rate than CBD pills
- People often use the terms capsules and pills or capsules and softgels interchangeably
CBD softgels, capsules, pills, and tablets are not the only product forms available. You can consume CBD in the form of tinctures and concentrates as well. Therefore, you have a choice of selecting the best form of consumption that works for you. There is a range of CBD products available to meet any preference with many options. Most companies offer products available in different counts per capsule, softgel, or pill container. Always select pure CBD capsules from a reputable source to ensure that you are getting value for your money.