Craft the perfect surprise for your Valentine with these adorable no-sew DIY Felt Fortune Cookies. They’re cute, easy to make, and a heartfelt way to share your love and affection!
Valentine’s Day is the perfect occasion to show your love in creative ways, and these DIY Felt Fortune Cookies are just the thing to add a personal and whimsical touch to your celebration.
Follow this easy guide to create your own set of charming felt fortune cookies, complete with sweet fortunes and an adorable gift tag for your special someone!
I originally shared this DIY Felt Fortune Cookies for Valentine’s Day craft a few years ago on Ideas for the Home by Kennary. Today, I’m excited to bring it to you here on my blog!
DIY Felt Fortune Cookies: A Fun Valentine for Adults
If you’re pondering ‘what can I make for my partner for Valentine’s Day’, look no further than these DIY felt fortune cookies. They are the perfect blend of creativity and affection. And the best part? They’re incredibly easy and a fun craft to create!
These felt fortune cookies offer a grown-up take on the traditional Valentine’s card, allowing you to infuse a bit of personality and cheeky charm into each message. They are a great way to bring smiles and a touch of whimsy to your Valentine’s celebration. What’s not to love?!
Looking for something more kid-friendly? Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered! Be sure to check out my collection of DIY Valentines perfect for the little ones, including my candy-free DIY Valentine’s Day Cards for Kids with Free Printable that uses toy mazes or this owl-inspired DIY Valentines Day Candy Cards + Free Printable!
Free Printable Tag and Fortunes for Your DIY Felt Fortune Cookies for Valentine’s Day
To make your DIY Felt Fortune Cookies even more special, I’ve created a convenient printable tag to include on the box and a selection of fun printable fortunes geared towards adults to stick inside the fortune cookies.
Be sure to download your free printable file for the adorable tag and for the charming fortunes below in the instructions section.
Alternatively, you can craft unique fortune messages for these felt cookies by cutting out small strips of white paper and writing a sweet message on each one.
How to Make Fortune Cookies with Felt for Valentine’s Day
A lot of the time when I try new craft projects they wind up taking a lot more time than I anticipated, so when I have one that turns out to be quick and easy, I am beyond thrilled! That was the case with these felt fortune cookies for Valentine’s Day.
Read below to learn how to make these super cute DIY fortune cookies from felt – truly, they are so easy to make, and lots of fun when your special someone pops them open!
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products I think you’ll love. If you make a purchase from one of these links, Bullock’s Buzz will make a small commission at no additional cost to you. As always, I only recommend products that I have (or have had), use, and love.]
Supplies You Will Need to Make DIY Felt Fortune Cookies
Before we begin, gather these supplies to create your own Valentine’s Day Felt Fortune Cookies:
- A mason jar lid (or another round object that can be used to make three to four-inch diameter circles)
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Scissors and/or wire cutters
- Crafting felt in at least 3 different colors ( I opted for traditional colors including white, red, and a medium pink)
- Pipe cleaners (aka chenille stems) in matching colors
- A cute Valentine’s box for presentation – these boxes are super cute!
- Printable gift tag (link below) to attach to the box
- Fortunes printed (link below) or handwritten on small strips of paper
- Color Ink
- Printer paper and/or lightweight cardstock
Instructions to Make DIY Felt Fortune Cookies:
Making these felt fortune cookies for Valentine’s Day is a lot easier than it looks. I practiced on a piece of paper first and was able to quickly grasp the concept. Here’s how to do it:
Step One: Download Files
To get started, download the PDF printable tag and fortunes from the links below and save them on your computer. To download, click on the links below:
Step Two: Open, Print, and Cut Gift Tag and Fortunes
Next, insert the paper of your choice into your printer and begin printing. I used lightweight cardstock for the tag and regular paper for the fortunes.
For some printers, you will need to make sure you select ‘print to actual size’ in the settings. Remember to double-check that you are printing in color before you begin!
Once they have printed and you are certain the ink is dry, use scissors to cut away the excess paper around the tag and to cut apart each strip of paper that has a fortune on it.
Tip: using a paper trimmer makes this a lot quicker and easier!
Step Three: Trace And Cut Felt Circles
Now, let’s make the actual felt fortune cookies. Use a mason jar lid or another round object that is around 3 inches in diameter, to trace circles onto the felt. There are 14 printable fortunes so you will need 14 circles.
Next, cut out the circles with scissors making sure to cut inside the traced lines for a clean, finished result.
Step Four: Trim Pipe Cleaners And Glue To Middle Of Each Circle
Once the circles are cut, you will need to trim the pipe cleaners so each one is just slightly shorter than the diameter of the circles.
Next, glue one of the cut pieces of pipe cleaner to the middle of each circle.
Step Five: Add a Fortune and Fold
Once the glue is dry, place a fortune right alongside the chenille stem in the middle of the felt circle and then fold the circle in half. Use a thin line of glue along the edge to secure it.
Step Six: Fold Into Fortune Cookie Shape
Next, bend the two ends of the half circle backward towards each other so that it bends the chenille stem at its halfway point. This will create the classic fortune cookie shape. To help it hold its shape, pinch the two sides together with one hand and use your other hand to mold the chenille stem right where the bend is to ensure it stays curved.
Step Seven: Pooch and Shape
Lastly, adjust the felt as needed to give it a more realistic fortune cookie shape. I did this by inserting my finger into each side and pooching them out a bit.
And there you have it! Your heartfelt DIY Felt Fortune Cookies are ready to spread love and sweet surprises this Valentine’s Day!
Aren’t they great?!
Variations: Personalize Your Felt Fortune Cookies
These DIY Felt Fortune Cookies offer the perfect canvas for your imagination. Whether you’re crafting for friends, family, or that special someone, below are some variations to make each fortune cookie even more unique. Mix and match these ideas with your own to put your special touch on this DIY Valentine’s Day gift for your special someone.
- Colorful Delights: Beyond traditional Valentine’s colors, try using a rainbow of felt colors to match different personalities or occasions. Each color can represent a different emotion or message.
- Themed Fortunes: Tailor your fortunes to specific themes. For a friend’s birthday, include fun predictions or inside jokes. For an anniversary, sprinkle in romantic quotes or significant dates.
- Scented Surprises: Add a few drops of essential oils to the felt before assembling the cookies. Scents like lavender or rose can add a relaxing or romantic touch.
- Embellish with Embroidery: If you’re handy with a needle, embroider initials, hearts, or small patterns on the felt before folding them into cookies. This adds a charming and intricate detail.
- Interactive Cookies: Insert small trinkets or charms along with the fortune. These could be tiny heart-shaped beads, small rings, or even a key to a “mystery” gift box.
- Special Occasions: Felt fortune cookies can be used for all sorts of holidays and pretty much any special occasion! Birthdays, anniversaries, St. Patrick’s Day, graduations, and more! Simply change up the colors, the box, and the fortunes.
- Unique Favors: Throwing a Valentine’s party? These Felt Fortune Cookies make great handmade party favors!
More Adorable Valentine’s Day Crafts and Valentine’s Day Snacks
If you’re on the hunt for more Valentine’s Day crafts, check out some of my other favorites below!
- Valentine’s Day Coffee Mug
- Homemade Rainbow Candy Hearts
- Heart-Shaped Red Velvet Whoopie Pies + Printable Treat Bag Topper
Like It? Love It? Please Share It
I hope you love this DIY Valentine’s Day Fortune Cookie craft as much as I do! It was so fun and easy to make! Plus it is such a neat way to share the love! If you decide to make this DIY Valentine’s day craft gift, I’d love to see how it turned out!
Nothing makes me happier than seeing your take on my crafts. So, be sure to tag me at @bullocksbuzz (Instagram and Facebook) or @alainabullock (on Twitter) and share what you’ve made. And don’t forget to use #BullocksBuzz so I can see your creation and share it!
And finally, if you get a chance, please comment and leave me a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating on the printable craft card or in the comments section below!
- 2 sheets each of Red, Pink, and White Felt
- Chenille Sticks in same colors as felt - I was able to get 2 cookies from 1 stem
- Round mason jar lid or other round object for tracing - at least 3 inches in diameter
- Pen or marker
- White or light pink printer paper
- Lightweight Cardstock in white or light pink
- Printable Gift Tag (link in post)
- Printable Fortunes (link in post)
- Tape to attach tag
- Valentine's themed box large enough to hold the fortune cookies.
- Color printer
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Paper cutter - optional
- Print the gift tag on cardstock and use the scissors to remove the excess paper. Next, print the fortunes on printer paper and then cut them apart using scissors or a paper cutter.
- Trace three-inch circles on red, pink, and white felt using a pen or marker.
- Cut out the circles with scissors making sure to cut inside the traced lines so they look nice and clean.
- Trim the chenille stems just a bit shorter than the diameter of the 3-inch felt circles.
- Use the glue gun to glue the stems in the middle of the circles of felt.
- Place a fortune in the middle of each fortune cookie alongside the chenille stem.
- Fold the circle in half, using the chenille stem as a guide. The stem should be on the inside of the cookie.
- Bend the two edges of the half circle backward towards each other so that it bends the chenille stem at its halfway point. This will create the classic fortune cookie shape. Help it hold its shape by pinching the two sides together with one hand and using your other hand to mold the chenille stem right where the bend is to ensure it stays curved.
- Repeat with each felt circle until all cookies are made.
- Place the DIY Felt Fortune Cookies inside a Valentine's Day-themed box, and attach the printed tag with tape.
There are 14 different fortunes for you to choose from.
If you have a Cricut or similar machine, use it to cut out the circles.