Tender and moist, slow-cooked beef is covered in silky-smooth, delicious gravy and served over a bed of fluffy white rice in this easy Slow Cooker Beef Tips and Rice recipe.
This slow cooker recipe has been a family favorite for many years. There’s nothing quite like tender and moist, slow-cooked beef tips covered in a delicious gravy and served over a bed of fluffy white rice. It practically screams comfort food. And it’s so easy to make!
This Slow Cooker Beef Tips and Rice recipe cooks up SO tender and moist. It’s a quick and easy way to make flavorful beef with a rich, silky smooth gravy. And while it’s easy enough for a weeknight dinner, it’s also impressive enough to serve to family and friends.
Be sure to try our Slow Cooker Country Ribs, too, for another delicious slow cooker meal idea!
WHAT IS THE BEST CUT OF MEAT FOR BEEF TIPS AND RICE?
While you could easily use your favorite cut of meat for this slow cooker recipe, I really recommend using top sirloin beef tips.
This is because sirloin tends to remain tender while it cooks up quickly. It’s very flavorful and can be cooked slowly or quickly. And while it is a tad more expensive than stew meat, it’s not as expensive as some other cuts of beef.
Stew meat, on the other hand, is usually made up of leftover pieces from a butcher preparing other cuts of meat. It most often consists of a lot of chuck or round meat. And while stew meat can be flavorful, I’ve found that all those different pieces of meat can take different amounts of time to cook and become tender.
If you can’t find sirloin tips in your grocery, a sirloin steak cut into bite sized pieces would work great in this recipe too.
HOW TO MAKE SLOW COOKER BEEF TIPS AND RICE
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services I think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, I may make a small commission at no additional cost to you. P.S. I only recommend products that I use and love.
KITCHEN TOOLS YOU MAY NEED
- slow cooker
- large skillet
- slotted spoon
- small saucepan (for the rice)
- small bowl for the cornstarch mixture
BEEF TIPS AND RICE INGREDIENTS
This beef tips and rice recipe calls for a few common ingredients including:
- Vegetable oil
- Sirloin tips
- Low-sodium beef broth
- Minced garlic
- Dried thyme
- Italian seasoning
- Lawry’s Seasoning Salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Bay leaf
The complete ingredients and instructions are in the printable recipe at the end of this post. 😉
Slow Cooker Beef Tips and Rice is the perfect recipe for busy nights! After a few easy steps, you can have it in the slow cooker and ready to go in about 10 minutes. Then you’ll have an amazing dinner waiting for you at the end of the day.
Sear: In a large skillet over medium-high heat add the oil. Season the beef tips with the seasoning salt and pepper. Then add the meat in batches to sear on both sides until brown, but do not let it cook through. You want to keep the meat relatively rare inside so they’ll be juicy and tender later.
Add the Meat: Once the beef tips are browned add them to the slow cooker.
Slow cooker: Then add the beef broth and Worchestershire, and sprinkle the beef with the Italian seasoning and thyme. Add the onions and garlic on top, and tuck a bay leaf in on the side. Cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 3-4 hours until beef tips are fork-tender. *Slow cooker times are always approximate and vary with each model.
Thicken: Once the beef tips and rice are finished cooking, mix together the water and cornstarch in a small bowl. Stir it into the slow cooker and allow it to thicken while cooking on LOW for an additional 10 minutes. Tip – this is a good time to start the rice, too!
Serve: Remove the bay leaf and spoon the beef and gravy over a mound of fluffy white rice – or mashed potatoes or noodles. Enjoy!
WHAT ELSE CAN YOU SERVE BEEF TIPS WITH?
These beef tips also taste amazing over other things besides rice! I’ve served them over noodles (including egg noodles, Fettuccini, and Rotini), over mashed potatoes, and even on their own with other sides. The possibilities are endless!
More Easy Slow Cooker Recipes
Looking for more quick and easy, yet mouth-wateringly delicious slow cooker recipes? Then give these a try:
Printable Slow Cooker Beef Tips and Rice Recipe
Slow Cooker Beef Tips and Rice
- 3 lbs top sirloin cubed
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil divided
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tbsps Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup white onion diced
- 1 tsp Lawry's seasoning salt divided
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp thyme dried
- 1-2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- Season beef cubes on all sides with the seasoning salt and black pepper. Heat 1½ tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over MEDIUM-HIGH heat. Once the oil is hot, add half the beef cubes and stir and cook just long enough to sear the beef without cooking it through. Use a slotted spoon to transfer beef to the slow cooker. Add the remaining oil to pan and repeat with remaining beef cubes.
- Add the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce to the slow cooker and then sprinkle the beef with the Italian seasoning and thyme. Sprinkle the diced onions and garlic over the top.Tuck a bay leaf into the mixture on the side.
- *Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 7 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours, or until beef is fork tender.
- Combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl and then add the mixture to slow cooker. Stir until sauce has thickened, and then cook on LOW for an additional 10 minutes. Remove bay leaf and serve over white rice.