Pineapple, coconut, strawberry, and rum come together to create a deliciously cold and fruity drink in this Lava Flow Cocktail recipe. One sip will transport you to a tropical paradise!
For the record, I’m not a big drinker. I might drink a cocktail or two while on vacation. But for the most part, I rarely drink. However, this tropical Lava Flow cocktail is just too good to pass up!
This slushy Lava Flow cocktail is absolutely delicious. The mixture of pineapple, strawberry, and coconut is a flavor combination made in heaven.
Add some rum, and one sip will transport you to a tropical paradise! It’s like a beach vacation in a glass.
However, since many of us won’t be going on a beach vacation anytime soon, I figured this is the perfect time to share this frosty, fruity concoction.
I’m also sharing the mocktail, aka non-alcoholic, version, too. It’s the perfect treat for kids on a warm day.
What is a Lava Flow Cocktail?
The Lava Flow cocktail is a very popular drink with visitors to Hawaii. Made with pineapple, coconut, strawberries, and rum, it’s sort of like a more colorful and fruity version of a pina colada.
The cocktail gets its name from the “lava flow effect” you get when combine the red ingredients with the white. It’s cool to watch and kind of does remind me of molten lava flowing down the side of a volcano.
However, unlike molten lava which is some thousands of degrees, the lava flow cocktail is frosty cold and sure to cool you down on a hot summer day.
How to Make a Lava Flow Drink
The Lava Flow cocktail is fairly easy to make. You’ll need a good blender and just a few ingredients. You’ll find the complete list of ingredients and instructions in the printable version of this recipe at the end of the post. I’ve also included the Lava Flow mocktail recipe for the kids.
The key to making this cocktail is mixing the red ingredients separate from the white ones and then combining them in one glass to create the “lava flow effect”.
Kitchen Tools Needed
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products I think you’ll like. If you make a purchase from one of these links, Bullock’s Buzz will make a small commission at no additional cost to you. All products that I recommend are ones that I have (or have had), use, and love.
To make Lava Flow cocktail, you will need the following ingredients:
- Frozen strawberries
- Cream of Coconut: such as the Coco Lopez brand. I’ve always found it in the mixed drinks aisle (although the cream of coconut is non-alcoholic).
- Pineapple juice
- Coconut rum (I use Malibu)
- White Rum
- Crushed ice
- Pineapple slices and cherries for garnish (optional)
How to Get The Lava Flow Effect
Lava Flow cocktails are made in two parts. First you’ll blend the frozen strawberries and both rums until smooth. Pour this mixture into serving glasses.
Next, you’ll need to rinse the blender clean.
Then you’ll blend the pineapple juice, cream of coconut, and crushed ice until smooth.
Now, to make the magic happen, slowly pour the white mixture over the strawberry mixture in each glass and watch how the colors flow.
It’s very simple to make and so yummy!
Lava Flow Cocktail Variation
There are several variations for making a Lava Flow drink, although the recipe I’m sharing is my personal favorite. 🙂
One of the variations calls for adding a small banana. I personally prefer to make mine without. However, if you do decide to add it, add it in with the pineapple juice concoction.
Lava Flow Mocktail for Kids
Kids can get in on the deliciousness of this fruity cocktail, too! To make a virgin lava flow cocktail, simply replace the rum with pineapple juice. It is so yummy! So good, in fact, that I’ll treat myself to one of these lava flow smoothies as a fruity snack in mid-morning or afternoon!
More Delicious Cocktail Recipes
Did you enjoy this cocktail? Me too! I think you’ll really like these other cocktails, as well!
Lava Flow Cocktail Recipe Printable
Lava Flow Cocktail – The Alcoholic Version
- 4 ounces coconut rum
- 4 ounces white rum
- 10 ounces frozen strawberries
- 8 ounces pineapple juice
- 8 ounces cream of coconut
- 2 cups crushed ice
- pineapple slices and cherries for garnishing optional
- In a blender, combine the coconut rum, the light rum, and frozen strawberries. Blend to a puree. Transfer to a clean container or pitcher.
- Rinse the blender clean. Add pineapple juice, cream of coconut, and crushed ice. Blend until smooth.
- Divide the strawberry and rum mixture among 4 serving glasses. Then slowly pour the pineapple coconut mixture into each glass on top of the other mixture.
- Garnish with pineapple slices and strawberries (optional)
Lava Flow Mocktail – Non-Alcoholic Drink for Kids
- 20 ounces pineapple juice divided
- 10 ounces frozen strawberries
- 16 ounces cream of coconut
- 1 cup crushed ice
- Pineapple slices and cherries for garnish optional
- In a blender, combine 4 ounces of pineapple juice and the frozen strawberries. Blend until smooth. If too thick, add a little bit of extra liquid if needed (iced water is OK). Transfer to a clean container or pitcher.
- Rinse the blender clean. Add the remaining 16 ounces of pineapple juice, the cream of coconut, and crushed ice. Again, blend until smooth.
- Divide the strawberry mixture among 4 serving glasses, then slowly pour the pineapple coconut mixture into the glass. Watch it swirl!
- Garnish with a pineapple slice and cherry if desired.